Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Depository for off topic / political posts (NO brexit related posts please)

Malibuflyer wrote:

That has just been a potshot on an old Swiss/German dispute

Actually no. It was a statement about that person, nothing else, nothing more. The German demands at the time had no direct causal consequence.

Also you want to be very careful with that report and the way the crew was made soley responsible for this accident. It’s a very old trick of the trade to accuse those who can no longer defend themselves, particularly if the alternative would be to step on some very sensitive toes.

I personally knew the commander in question, so did many others here. While he was not without faults, the report lets the elephant in the room for this accident intentionally untouched, apart from the finding that the approach minimas licensed by the authorities at the time were inadequate.

I hope that eventually we will meet and I will be happy to give you some background information to this.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

A_and_C wrote:

The U.K. CAA attitude is refreshingly different from the petulant and vindictive attitude of EASA that is no doubt at the directive of Brussels political masters.

So it’s all a “UK versus Europe” thing!?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Now that we are a free country, I am keen to see CAA approving every FAA STC & EASA STC and Form337 this will make UK a heaven for certified GA !

There is a good reason why people will keep flying N-reg than G-reg in UK, I doubt lot of that will change anytime soon

Last Edited by Ibra at 13 Feb 13:11
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Silvaire wrote:

there is a third school of thought about the use of speed cameras and the obvious motivation to use them as a low cost way to tax. That is to make them illegal for any purpose. I think it’s the best of the three.

The easiest way to avoid a speeding ticket is not to speed. I’ve never had a speeding ticket I didn’t richly deserve.

We don’t have any speed cameras in the Isle of Man, but I try very hard to avoid speeding – speeding is deeply antisocial behaviour in built up areas especially.

Last Edited by alioth at 14 Feb 17:17
Andreas IOM

If speed limits were set to with 5 mph of the 85th percentile actual vehicle speed on a given road, as recommended by technologists without a financial stake, that might be valid. As it is, speed limits are often set below the speed of any vehicle on a given road. This is supported by police so they can pull almost anybody over for any reason, and by the bureaucracy more generally to maintain a revenue stream.

I’ve spent I’m going to guess half my driving/riding mileage over 40 years exceeding speed limits worldwide, have never made an insurance claim, have never damaged anybody else’s person or property. You could equally argue that my record supports no speed limits at all, anywhere. That would be false too, but no more so than to say that any speeding fine I’ve ever received was richly deserved, or to say that speeding fines are not a planned part of government budgets and should be combatted for what they are.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 14 Feb 17:44

If you want to get started on Speed Limits, they are to me the essence of Laws made for idiots to protect idiots… as is so much legislation in Europe and no doubt the US too. This is even now encroaching upon that famously logical country, Germany… where “Free” sections of autobahn are being reduced at an alarming rate…

Peter wrote:

Whether this CAA policy will work I don’t know but I am not optimistic since the official Brussels position is that the EU does not need the UK for anything whatsoever.

and they would be wrong how?

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

LeSving wrote:

Russia is rather weird, or old fashioned perhaps. There is a separate border treaty between Russia and Norway for instance. Lots of it is about what is regarded as respect of the border.

I think we can see right now that “respect” is a thing deeply rooted into many countries traditions and self-understanding, particularly with Russia. I don’t think too many people really understand Russia or what is sometimes referred to as the “Russian soul”, which unfortunately leads often to a very different world view between them and their neighbours / rest of the world. It’s kind of funny you mention the word “Respect” in this context, as many these days say that the lack thereof is the real driver behind the current power struggle between Russia and the West. Respect, in that regard, has not much to do with condoning each others action but rather with respecting each other on an even level. That, unfortunately, was lost in post Soviet aera when the West really felt they had “won” over Russia. Nope. They won over the Soviet system, which many Russians did not mind going out themselves. But many mistook this for having won over Russia and the Russian spirit. Well, while Russia had a period where it called itself the Soviet Union, including other states, it always stayed Russia, no matter weather they were ruled by Tsars or the Politbureau. Their heritage and traditions go back all the way to Alexander Nevski and the battle on the ice lake, against the Germans mind. Right now we are back in a situation where we have a guy with powers very close to what the Tsars had whose goal it is to restore the “respect” he feels the West lacks vs Russia and they do feel strong enough about that to go to war if need be.

That is remarkable I think, seeing that Russia itself has profited massively from opening itself up towards Europe. Yet, the issue of Nato at their borders without the buffer of their former WAPA states upsets them strongly enough to risk a massive confrontation over it. Well, so did the US when Khrustchov parked missiles in Cuba..

Needless to say, if this thing really starts to blow up, the decline of GA will be the least of our problems. We might find out after all whether NATO’s defence of Europe tactics actually work or not .Or if they will matter at all.

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 15 Feb 07:48
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Mooney_Driver wrote:

That is remarkable I think, seeing that Russia itself has profited massively from opening itself up towards Europe. Yet, the issue of Nato at their borders without the buffer of their former WAPA states upsets them strongly enough to risk a massive confrontation over it. Well, so did the US when Khrustchov parked missiles in Cuba..

Like when NATO invaded Crimea and effectively move into that buffer? Excuse the sarcasm @Mooney_Driver but I think Putin lost the privilege to claim that neutral border has been breached by his actions a LONG time ago…

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

Russian war in Ukraine discussion is here

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message