Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Depository for off topic / political posts (NO brexit related posts please)

kwlf wrote:

At risk of straying away from the COVID discussion, the impression I get in the news is that the USA is a place where you are two orders of magnitude more likely to be killed by the police than in the UK. People in Portland have been bundled into unmarked cars by federal officers who were not in uniform and whose presence was not requested by the state authorities, and the president has been suggesting postponing the elections that he currently seems likely to lose.

I wouldn’t recommend watching too much TV.
I’ve been through some of the “peaceful protests” that happen… they’re alarming at the least, violent at the worst.
The talk of individuals being nabbed off of the street like gestapo is distorted. They are arresting individuals who are destroying public property.

Which is scarier, having a mob attack your house, or having leaders of a mob arrested to head off more destruction?
If it were non-violent, I think most of America would support the activity.

The crowd in Portland are trying to destroy a federal courthouse. Every night they form a mob around the courthouse, throw things, shine lasers at police and cause hell.
If it is about peaceful protesting, why aren’t they doing it in they day for everyone to see? Marching in harmony, that would cause people to be moved.
But trying every night to storm a federal courthouse?
This achieves nothing but raising taxes to pay for the building once it is destroyed.
Then they’ll move on and do it again.

Would you allow a few hundred people to dismantle your cities building by building and block by block?
When does it end? When the law abiding citizens start protecting their civic properties?

I really don’t understand the concept behind allowing a mob to destroy public property.
It strikes me as childish behavior. Much like allowing a toddler to break things throw things and bite when they’re throwing a tantrum. No, that’s not OK, not at 2 years of age, not at 20 years of age.

@kwlf please help me understand the logic of allowing the violence to continue for months on end. I would really like to understand someone who supports it, because I just can’t seem to get the advantage or benefit of it so far…

Last Edited by AF at 01 Aug 07:13

@AF

The reports here are that the protests have been largely but not entirely peaceful. Obviously I’ve never been to one so have no first hand knowledge. Which protests have you seen in person?

There have been numerous videos of journalists getting attacked by police so whilst some police presence may be justifiable, the US police do come over as being very heavy handed and having fed the fire.

@AF – answered on the politics thread.

[moved]

@kwlf

Ah , the largely peaceful “embedding nails into motar fireworks” ieds. This was from a leaked FBI document so I think it’s fairly true. 40+ nights of riots attacking a federal courthouse.

There’s a fascinating article by a chap who just drove to smaller towns in America to see what was going on, and the amount of smaller places that have had properties smashed up, burned down and peoples lives and small business destroyed was surprising as none of it got reported in the news.

Solicitors arrested for throwing molatov cocktails at police cars with people in.

I see some news outlets are now trying to say this was all some 4d chess plan by Trump and far right activists are getting dressed up as antifa to attack the police and federal buildings, but I somehow doubt it. Antifa has a track record for violence and destruction

kwlf wrote:

There have been numerous videos of journalists getting attacked by police so whilst some police presence may be justifiable, the US police do come over as being very heavy handed and having fed the fire.

You do realise that Antifa are dressing up as press?

Andy Ngo has been covering Antifa for quite a while and their tactics
Link

The problem, or win strategy depending which side you are on, is the mass majority of people (sheeple), believe what they are fed by MSM and politicians. Plenty of intelligent people are continually advising people to wake up, open your eyes, and see what is developing.

ANTIFA is a left wing, funded by the Democratic left, bunch of thugs, just as vicious and destructive as Far right groups. ANTIFA get little criticism by MSM, and yet Far Right groups are the devil incarnate.

The Karens are on the march and attempting to destroy the development of our society. As George Carlin stated, Never Underestimate the stupidity of people in large Groups…..

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

Wow, this link is eye-opening off_field. Thanks.

LFOU, France

@kwlf it isn’t easy to convey what it is like. Angry mob is probably the best I can describe it. I live in a very quiet city and not much happens here, so while the angry mob wouldn’t be considered a big deal in some places like NYC things like this are occurring here which are provocative and inciting violence.
People aren’t being shot here, but the mob that goes around is violent.

Here’s another extreme example

While the news reports on how the police are arresting individuals, the violence isn’t really highlighted.

From the reports and statistics I’ve seen, a great preponderance of police are being injured or killed by these “peaceful protestors”.

To be clear, at the beginning, there were a lot of peaceful protestors during the day. I haven’t seen much of that for 6 weeks now. The news have down plenty of the bad actions committed by the police, but rarely show the mob violence.

Midnight Protestors

Closer to what I saw

Height of the “Peaceful Protest” in Philadelphia:

Last Edited by AF at 01 Aug 10:47

You do realise that Antifa are dressing up as press?

Sounds unlikely to me, but so what if they are? If someone’s speaking peacefully to a TV camera, shoving them violently to the ground is hardly justifiable at that moment in time. It comes over more as an assault on the liberty of the press.

Like with the “gilet jaune” it depends on who you believe is offering the truth and who you believe is telling the truth depends on which side of the fence you sit on. Personally I tend to believe anyone and disbelieve everyone. I am probably what would be called a “woolly minded liberal”. And I’m fine with that unless it comes to the things I really care about.

France
Sign in to add your message