Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

UK NPPL - what will happen after April 2018?

Peter, the original NPPL medical declaration which had to be counter signed by a GP has now been replaced by the new CAA self certification which requires no AME or GP involvement or counter signature nor any medical examination (neither did the original NPPLsystem require an examination) you merely have to confirm (for 2000kgs and under) that you are legally permitted to drive and that you are not mad.

I’m still pretty sure that a self declaration can only be used with a UK licence and not an LAPL even in U.K. airspace, and even on annex2 aircraft. The CAA state;

If you want to fly EASA aircraft using an EU Part-FCL Light Aircraft Pilot’s Licence (LAPL) you will need a LAPL medical certificate. The LAPL medical assessment can be conducted either by your GP or an AME and the LAPL medical certificate is valid throughout the EU.

The link is here

https://www.caa.co.uk/General-Aviation/Pilot-licences/Medical-requirements/Medical-requirements-for-private-pilots/

Last Edited by flybymike at 12 Jun 07:54
Egnm, United Kingdom

the original NPPL medical declaration which had to be counter signed by a GP has now been replaced by the new CAA self certification which requires no AME or GP involvement or counter signature nor any medical examination (neither did the original NPPLsystem require an examination) you merely have to confirm (for 2000kgs and under) that you are legally permitted to drive and that you are not mad.
I’m still pretty sure that a self declaration can only be used with a UK licence and not an LAPL even in U.K. airspace, and even on annex2 aircraft.

I agree, but I don’t think that was disputed.

I was just having a dig around the LAPL requirements, to see if the LAPL route will be of use to any significant % of current NPPL holders most of whom are on the NPPL because they can’t get the CAA Class 2. I don’t know the distribution of the reasons for NPPL use but taking just the NPPL holders I know personally or have spoken to, the LAPL won’t be much good to most of them.

The DVLA Group 2 requirements are here ( local copy ) but again they don’t appear complete e.g. it says you can’t drive a truck for 3 months after a bypass but doesn’t mention a stent which does appear in the Group 1 with a 1 week waiting time (6 weeks for a bypass) which would be surprising for driving a truck, hence I don’t think this is the whole story.

There is a number of AMEs on EuroGA but for some reason none of them post this kind of information. A few years ago I was told by a CAA employee that they were prohibited from posting on forums (except, evidently, under nicknames ) and AMEs are agents of the CAA so maybe that is the reason.

The NPPL is mostly about medical issues.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Sorry, I was primarily responding to Carl’s remark that an LAPL could be used with annex2and a self declaration in the U.K.

But why would NPPL holders using a medical declaration need to move to an LAPL unless they wish to fly abroad? (where they have always been subject to restrictions anyway)

All UK national licence holders (including CAA ICAO licence holders) are stuffed for flying abroad without an EASA licence after next April, not just NPPL. Maybe the value of Annex2 aircraft will go up due to increased demand?

Last Edited by flybymike at 12 Jun 08:59
Egnm, United Kingdom

Peter, in my own experience of NPPL, MOST are microlight pilots. Many of them would have no problem with class 2. Of the ones i know with the NPPL(SSEA), which included me before I upgraded to the NPPL, these people just did it as a quick upgrade, which only took 5 hours total training rather than a new medical plus potentially even more training.

I upgraded to the LAPL to allow me to fly in Europe, because the NPPL(SSEA) is not automatically allowed in France(and others). Oddly the NPPL(M) is allowed in France by a bilateral agreement.

My good friend and ex microlight instructor is in a silly situation. Over 3000 hours on microlights, now flies a group A Kitfox (which is basically a microlight). He has NPPL(M) and NPPL(SSEA) but he cannot fly microlights because he didn’t do his hour with the instructor this year!! I think he will upgrade to LAPL, but only when pushed. He’ll probably do a self certified med.

Unless i’m missing something I see NO reason why all national licenses can’t become LAPLs. Medical is not a reason due to self-cert. The only possible reason against might be that Microlight pilots can currently fly in France, but with a LAPL+Self Cert they perhaps cannot.

EGKL, United Kingdom

I see NO reason why all national licenses can’t become LAPLs. Medical is not a reason due to self-cert.

Can you self-cert on the LAPL?

Administrator

Yes :)

see here
https://www.caa.co.uk/General-Aviation/Pilot-licences/Medical-requirements/Medical-requirements-for-private-pilots/

But ONLY for non-EASA aircraft inside UK airspace. So fine for most microlights and LAA pilots . (most of whom never leave UK anyway)

EGKL, United Kingdom

OK; thanks.

For pilots of certified aircraft, that takes us to the same position as the NPPL for EASA aircraft i.e. this route is set to end in April 2018.

I am surprised that most NPPL holders fly microlights. That isn’t the case for any of the people I know.

Administrator

Hi Peter, i’m not stating that Most NPPL fly microlights, only that most of the ones I know do :) . I guess it depends on the airfield – at Deanland, its probably 50% microlight, 50% LAA, 0% certified. Micro pilots are all on NPPL whereas group A are a mixture of licenses.

-C

EGKL, United Kingdom

OK

At EGKA, I reckon most/all NPPL holders are flying certifieds. Not homebuilts, because many/most of those flying homebuilts are former or current airline pilots who have a Class 1

I recall the publicity around the NPPL when it came out. The hope was that it would revitalise the GA scene, and then disappointment arrived because, reportedly, 2/3 of the immediate intake were pilots who could not / no longer get the Class 2. Based on people I talk to, I have no reason to think this proportion has changed. Of course that is still a very good outcome because perhaps 1k or 2k pilots are flying who would have been grounded for no good reason.

So we still have the NPPL as the only route for flying a certified plane – until April 2018.

Or the UK PPL but you can’t get it anymore, or can’t get it unless – according to what the CAA told somebody a few weeks ago – you have a valid Class 2 at time time of the application (this is not clear as predictably there is a lack of actual feedback).

Hence my assertion that a lot of GA pilots will be grounded in April 2018. How many of them can meet the LAPL medical requirements, I don’t know, and I haven’t found a clear list.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

At EGKA, I reckon most/all NPPL holders are flying certifieds.

That’s because in the UK microlight pilots avoid fields with full ATC like the plague. The microlight licence does not include a radio licence and many, perhaps most, microlight pilots never bother to get one. But all (around 10000 in the UK) microlighters fly on the NPPL.

TJ
Cambridge EGSC
Sign in to add your message