Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

UK NPPL - what will happen after April 2018?

In that case (10k microlight pilots on the NPPL) the CAA NPPL stats clearly don’t include microlight NPPLs.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The CAA has published this

However, it does not deal with the “NPPL + EASA-certified aircraft” issue in this thread…

There is a route NPPL → LAPL but that does not give you the medical self declaration option which you get on the NPPL. You need a full Class 2 medical – or buy a homebuilt or an ultralight.

Administrator

And yet with an FAA PPL you can continue to fly EASA aircraft even though this will no longer be permitted with an NPPL or even a full U.K. ICAO PPL.
There’s logic for you.

Egnm, United Kingdom

Does this new release indicate that the CAA will indeed kill off the “NPPL + medical self declaration + certified aircraft” in April 2018?

There have been rumours circulating that they won’t. My own view is that they will do a last-minute hack on this, to avoid grounding large numbers of pilots. They quite possibly haven’t yet realised the issue

This release doesn’t actually say explicitly one way or the other.

And yet with an FAA PPL you can continue to fly EASA aircraft

Are you referring to the SRG2140+2142 route (which needs an FAA Class 3 at least) or is this something else?

Administrator

Hold on – I though the LAPL had a lighter medical requirement (not a full class 2 EASA medical), although not self-declared.

Andreas IOM

My own view is that they will do a last-minute hack on this, to avoid grounding large numbers of pilots. They quite possibly haven’t yet realised the issue

My view is that the UK CAA do realise this will be a big deal, hence several warning notices and reminders that any pilot planning to fly an EASA aircraft after April 2018 needs to sort themselves out. I don’t think they have the latitude to defer/delay further – this doesn’t look like brinkmanship because EASA has no interest in further delay. My flying club has been quite pro-active about this and converted any NPPL(SSEA) holders across to LAPL or PPL, and I’d expect other clubs have also been reminding their members. For aircraft owners/shareholders on their own, this should be picked up on the SEP revalidation although I’m sure there will be some who are behind the curve. Gatwick HQ could be a busy place in April. Not everyone realises there is a £100 fee for pre-booked personal appointments for their “counter service” yet (£200 if you turn up unannounced). My recommendation is that if you need any paperwork sorted, then do it now (like today now, not tomorrow) and don’t put it off.

My understanding is that the NPPL will remain alive and kicking for many LAA pilots who are happy just flying their Annex II aircraft VFR around the UK. They can self-declare medical and revalidate with an instructor on an EASA aircraft because they wouldn’t be PIC. I read somewhere that over 4,000 pilots have taken the self-declare medical route so far, which when combined with evidence from the FAA’s Basic Med should provide a good safety case for similar approach across Europe.

After the April 2018 deadline there would be (at least) the following options for private pilot licences for EASA aircraft:
- LAPL with LAPL medical. Note a PPL Licence with LAPL medical isn’t valid – you have to change your licence.
- EASA PPL with EASA Class 2 medical
- FAA PPL with EASA Class 2 or FAA Class 2 medical + prove knowledge of EASA air law and English Language proficiency + register with form SRG2140 A third class FAA Medical won’t cut it. FAA PPL must be current. Valid for UK airspace only.
- Other third party ICAO licences can also be used similar to FAA but a different form.

But not NPPL or the old UK PPL.

FlyerDavidUK, PPL & IR Instructor
EGBJ, United Kingdom

FAA PPL with EASA Class 2 or FAA Class 2 medical + prove knowledge of EASA air law and English Language proficiency + register with form SRG2140 A third class FAA Medical won’t cut it. FAA PPL must be current. Valid for UK airspace only.

That was changed BTW a few months ago. FAA Class 3 is OK. It’s here somewhere (look for the “ICAO Class 2” debate).

But not NPPL or the old UK PPL.

That will ground an awful lot of pilots.

I wonder why the CAA is so compliant in the face of Brexit. I reckon EASA told them they will screw them on licensing (not recognising CAA issued licenses as EASA) unless they comply with everything. After all, screwing the UK is the current fashion in Brussels This particular speculation has also appeared in the aviation press, threatened mentioned by some EASA official, IIRC. Whether EASA would actually do it is a good Q, because so many airline pilots are being trained by UK FTOs, and suddenly their CPL/IRs would become worthless.

Administrator

The UK CAA now allows pilots to fly G-regs in UK airspace on an EASA PPL if they have submitted the medical self declaration i.e. no Class 2 medical is required!

Administrator

Yes. But it doesn’t allow NPPL holders to fly EASA aircraft.

Correct, but most NPPL holders have or used to have a PPL. They went to the NPPL because they could not get a Class 2 medical.

It’s a limited concession, sure, but much better than nothing.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message