Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

UK NPPL - what will happen after April 2018?

I think ORS4 1471_pdf is the latest word on this, but I sure as hell cannot work out what it is saying.

Some think it addresses this issue as well.

but I don’t think it does.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

A UK National PPL is an ICAO PPL. The UK NPPL is not the same.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

According to FTN (a UK training industry newsletter) there are 6000 pilots in the UK with national licenses (NPPL or the UK national PPL). That is a huge number to be grounded by this EASA measure.

There is irony in the fact than many UK EASA licence holders that SOLI’ed (like myself) to another EASA state a couple of years ago ensured they got a UK ICAO PPL off the back of their EASA PPL (and paid for the privilege!!) to ensure they would continue to be able to fly G-Reg aeroplanes “Just in case”, yet the CAA have now said that this cant be used to fly G reg EASA aeroplanes… You couldnt make it up!!

Regards, SD..

According to this post the NPPL cannot be used for a certified aircraft after April 2020.

Administrator

This may be relevant.

Administrator

I think one key change is, as noted previously, that before April 2018 the NPPL (with a Class 2, or with a medical self declaration) was good for any aircraft reg, but after April 2018 it is limited to a G-reg (regardless of whether the G-reg is certified or not).

After April 2019, or sooner if EASA bring out their intended ruling sooner, an NPPL will be good only for uncertified aircraft (“non EASA aircraft”) – this will ground a large number of pilots so I expect the UK CAA will resist it, as they obviously should.

Administrator

Flybymike – yes I think so

Now retired from forums best wishes

In EASA aircraft using a medical declaration?

Egnm, United Kingdom

I think it means when the new Basic Regulation finally comes in there will be the option for member states to permanently retain national licences for LAPL Level (ie sub ICAO) privileges

Now retired from forums best wishes

What is meant by the phrase;

” before the LAPL opt out is made available and adopted by the UK.” ?

Egnm, United Kingdom
55 Posts
Sign in to add your message