Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Is being tight and slagging off airports a particularly British trait, in GA?

Did I contribute earlier – sorry if I have already said this.

L2K and 30E seems reasonable to me. I know a little about the airport financial model, well at least when it comes to L2K sized operations, and there isnt much fat if you provide full ATC, fire cover a hard runway etc. Drop these services and the model changes substantially.

Take a step up and I struggle with the fees at many larger European airports (and glad to read about the campaign). It isnt that a mind paying, but the comparison with other countries is valid. In the States prices are a fraction – recently into Miami Int. I would have paid $50 for a Cirrus, except it was free with fuel. Down under Perth was a fraction of Bristol, and less than Southampton (well the GA slots aside which actually arent too bad).

.. but I cant understand why you would think for L2K style service 30E is too much. Not sure about the new customs desks mind you – I blame the Brexiters for that, and it is for me a great shame to see that it has come to this again and with our closest of neighbours. I feel no longer part of Europe as I check in, and check out – how to build fences when once they all seemed to be coming down. Oh well.

I cant understand why you would think for L2K style service 30E is too much.

I think, as I often write, this is driven by the constant campaigns on all the UK GA sites to boycott airports charging more than about £10. Eventually it becomes a rite of passage to keep repeating this in any group of pilots.

Not sure about the new customs desks mind you – I blame the Brexiters for that, and it is for me a great shame to see that it has come to this again and with our closest of neighbours. I feel no longer part of Europe as I check in, and check out – how to build fences when once they all seemed to be coming down. Oh well.

I think if they wanted revenge on the UK (a feeling often seen on the mainland – just read some threads here ) they would make LFAT 24h PNR like they did on some other N coastal airports, which pretty well kills the UK traffic. That would screw LFAT by removing perhaps half its traffic (more like 90% yesterday). I think the far more likely reason, also expressed by some French people I know, is that the police presence is because Mr Macron has a house there. In fact we sat in a cafe right outside it yesterday, and across the road from it was a van with “heavily armed” police, one of whom was hiding behind the van looking like he was playing pokemon

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I think the far more likely reason, also expressed by some French people I know, is that the police presence is because Mr Macron has a house there. In fact we sat in a cafe right outside it yesterday, and across the road from it was a van with “heavily armed” police, one of whom was hiding behind the van looking like he was playing pokemon

Most likely as the French president also had a “bouncer” as security guard who was filmed “bouncing” demonstrators at the 1st May events in Paris. The “bouncer” has been fired and it has led to an ongoing political scandal. E. Macron is also rather averse to the press having seen how his predecessors were treated.
I think travelers tend to complain about prices as they are outside their usual environment. I have heard tourists quibble about small differences in exchange rates even though they have spent a fair amount on their trip/holiday/vacation. Reminds me of some visiting American friends. We have stayed with them several times in the USA and know they are both generous and well-off. Barbara admired one of our tablecloths and my wife said she would take her into the shop in town and see if they still had them. Sure enough they did, but when Barbara saw the price she baulked. I am not paying that much for a tablecloth.
Simon

According to the customs officers at Le Touquet that I talked to, the upcoming brexit is the reason for the systematic presence of customs officers at L2K.

In terms of a timeline, they popped up after the state of emergency was introduced following either the attack on Charlie Hebdo or on the Bataclan – I cannot really remember which – but before the Brexit vote, and before Macron was elected IIRC.

So it is hard to tell which is the real reason for their presence. If they vanish the day after Macron is out of office, we will know that he was the reason… Frankly, I do not see why that should be the case.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 22 Jul 19:46
LFPT, LFPN

Aviathor wrote:

In terms of a timeline, they popped up after the state of emergency was introduced following either the attack on Charlie Hebdo or on the Bataclan – I cannot really remember which – but before the Brexit vote, and before Macron was elected IIRC.

Did they? That isnt my recollection, but I could be very wrong. I seem to think it is only really since BREXIT has been underway that they have had a permanent presence, and especially the now “check in”, “check out” service.

In defence of Bembridge, it’s one of my favourite destinations. We usually go at least once a year. There’s loads to do within walking distance: walk along some pretty bucolic hedgerows to the beach, or the windmill, or up the hill to the Yarborough monument or cliff top fort. As an island, getting there ‘conventionally’ isn’t quick or cheap, making it more appealing for passengers. Most importantly, my wife likes going there.

There’s also a campsite right next to the airfield where someone I know cleverly involved flying into a family holiday. Bembridge proper isn’t too far away either.

I had a joking winge about prices a year or so ago at the gliding club man who does the radio and takes the landing fee. I can’t remember exactly what he said unfortunately, but I think the gliders have free use as long as they manage the airfield. These people are volunteers, and the landing fee is collected by them on behalf of the landowner, who is benevolent but hands off. I understand he is happy to keep it as an airfield, but it has to pay its own way. It makes less money as an airfield than it would as fields with a few cows and more importantly Basic Payment, but it breaks even.

We’re probably going in three or four weeks and I can ask again.

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

Bembridge is really nice. God knows what sort of business rates the guy has to recover so a fee like 20 quid should be regarded as perfectly reasonable. You spend that parking all day in a shopping centre…

It’s a pity that the bulk of UK GA heads to Sandown for the fry-ups.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Brexit hasn’t happened yet. We aren’t and have never been part of Schengen, so were always potentially subject to checks in and out of Le Touquet. France had a State of Emergency until late last year, during which the tighter checks on arrivals commenced. They’re also checking passports intra-Schengen at the Italian border, on and off.

Whatever the reasons for the changes at Le Touquet, I don’t think it’s Brexit. Can’t see that it makes any difference to us anyway.

Their charges are odd though. They have a higher fee for “international” arrivals, the Brits being the bulk of their trade. I doubt that’s a coincidence. I don’t mind paying €30, but I do object that French arrivals are paying considerably less, when the workload on the airport is exactly the same. We’re being ripped off.

They have reduced rates for lighter aircraft, but you have to ask as they don’t seem to publish them.

Nice place, I keep going back, but fees are a mystery.

PS – the €5 refuelling fee for their expensive fuel is also naughty and discourages small uplifts, which may be necessary for some types.

Last Edited by jollyrog at 23 Jul 13:14
Redhill, United Kingdom
48 Posts
Sign in to add your message