Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Looking for an old UK CAA VFR chart (UK post CAS infringement procedure)

Not watching the GPS for 2 minutes.

Of course, if like more than half of UK GA I flew with Mode C turned off, or disabled by flying with a broken altitude encoder, nothing would have been noticed. Accordingly, quite a few flying schools fly like that, too. Much less admin…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

where surely the only right answer is that you set 1013 on the altimeter! Nobody should be doing mental maths on barometric altimetry when flying under an airway defined as a FL. According to a CAA guy I spoke to, many people do that, but surely the exam should not be encouraging that?
I would… If the QNH is higher than standard, a flight level is higher than the same indicated altitude on QNH, so in your example you wouldn’t need any calculations to know that you were not infringing. If the QNH was lower, I would probably just fly 500 feet lower which would cover QNHs down to 995.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Ah, ok, but you are a college/university lecturer, with a PhD or similar, yes? And you were not flying a plane when you made the posting.

I bet you that 50% of people fly on the dumb UK concept of RPS (and bust QNH-based airspace quite often), 25% would get the right answer of the other two and 25% would get the wrong answer of the other two. With 45 seconds available, and knowing the RPS is dumb, I still got it wrong

Given a bit of time I could do the calculation while flying but it is too risky. I would set 1013 for that part of the flight or, more easily, read the FL (which is sent to ATC so that is what they actually judge you on) off the GTX330

Administrator

What will happen next, now that you have failed the test?

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

The session with the CFI concludes it. See above post.

Administrator

boscomantico wrote:

now that you have failed the test?

Could you not have signed in with a different email, several times if necessary, copied and studied the questions at your leisure and then sat the test having the benefit of all the correct answers?

Or is that against the spirit of the excercise?

Peter, I don’t understand the chart section you’ve published above.

Current TMA boundaries are shown here:

with the section you mentioned revised, with a 2,500’ base. Further south (say Y47 out of MAY southbound) there’s a FL75+ base.

Or are you discussing the theoretical exam question on the old chart, not a bust in current airspace?

If the 5,350’ box arrow was the actual bust/position I can’t see you were in CAS.

Last Edited by 2greens1red at 29 Jul 12:47
Swanborough Farm (UK), Shoreham EGKA, Soysambu (Kenya), Kenya

Could you not have signed in with a different email, several times if necessary, copied and studied the questions at your leisure and then sat the test having the benefit of all the correct answers?

The CAA emails you a one-off personal login.

I have no idea how big the question bank is, but it does look like it is all very old. That question about “50” instead of “50.0” shows no pilots were involved in any recent validation of the questions. About 1000 pilots a year do it, I am told (only a low single digit number get prosecuted, and I believe the CAA cannot prosecute someone who has been through the original MOR report (which they ask you to do on the same day) and then did this subsequent process, due to self incrimination). I may well be the first to post about it on a forum, but that’s not unusual

I don’t understand the chart section you’ve published above.

This is the 2017 CAA 1:500k chart (ignore the very thin green lines; they represent other maps I have for that area, in Memory Map)

Are you perhaps using Skydemon with everything above 2500ft suppressed? It does look like a rather strange chart though.

I busted the 4500ft base.

This case is now closed, with the CFI re-education session. I would not have posted about it otherwise

Administrator

Thanks, Peter. You are, of course, 100% correct.

Swanborough Farm (UK), Shoreham EGKA, Soysambu (Kenya), Kenya

That shows the perils of using airspace removal above X feet in this program, which AIUI defaults to hiding everything above 4000ft. It produces maps which look a lot nicer than the CAA ones – a big selling point

Then, the airspace is not displayed unless you are actually flying with it and climb above the level above which you configured it to hide it. So if you are doing ground based flight planning (ahem, the usual way of planning a flight) this will bite you…

Due to this episode I am currently testing EasyVFR and have set it to 10000ft. This and this is relevant However I still can’t hear the warnings from my tablet… someone I know has solved this by feeding the 3.5mm audio out from his tablet to a bluetooth audio transmitter which feeds it into his bluetooth-compatible headset!

Administrator
Sign in to add your message