Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Looking for an old UK CAA VFR chart (UK post CAS infringement procedure)

Dimme wrote:

Only the PIC can cancel IFR, which actually may be refused by ATC some times near a CTR, or am I wrong? How can London Control just cancel their IFR silently?

They don’t, but they tell you you are leaving controlled airspace and ask you what time of service you want outside. Then prior to rejoining (further along your route) you need to ask for clearance again.

The UK CAA is to run an infringements course.

This is the guy who told me that they won’t credit a bogus question because had I got the others right I would have passed.

Another question in the “45 second exam” encourages flying under an airway whose base is defined as a flight level by using QNH and doing mental maths on the numbers as you prepare to fly under it… When, after dozens of attempts, I finally spoke to [name removed on CAA request] on the phone, saying that the only right answer is to set 1013, his reply was is that the question is appropriate because some pilots use the QNH. Incidentally a tablet based airspace warning product won’t help in this scenario. This question is in post #8.

It’s no wonder much of UK GA prefers turning off (or disabling) Mode C over the CAA’s “education” attempts which are just hard to pass exams with some ~10-20 year obsolete questions and with negligible educational value, designed to teach the subject a lesson they won’t forget in a hurry.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It would probably be a great deal of help if the people writing and reviewing the questions were frequent GA VFR fliers. I have to ask – does [name removed on CAA request] fly, and if he does, does he regularly fly VFR in areas such as the south of the UK where the airspace is most cluttered on the charts?

The CAA has put out a consulation (a while ago) about moving the transition altitude up to FL180 for the whole of the UK – it would certainly be helpful if all airspace floors in places where people fly VFR were using a consistent system (either FL or barometric altitude – not some using baro and others using flight levels, often quite close together). There should also be a test open to all pilots (in other words, you can do the course and do a self-assessment test – with nothing sent to the CAA when you do) so that people can see how well they know the material BEFORE having an infringement (and possibly preventing the infringement in the first place).

Andreas IOM

Is they are going to set an exam, it needs to have current and relevant questions, no bogus/trick questions, same time limit as the real PPL exam, no pretending that the exam will be based on the tutorial you have just spent hours reading over and over, and the same pass mark of 75%. That, after all, is the standard expected of a PPL originally. The current system is set up to fail you and to leave a really bad taste in your mouth.

No idea what happened to the FL180 proposal. Would have been very good.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Exactly. Why is it that the CAA bureacrats can’t seem to understand that the reason they have these CAS busts is the antiquated and ridiculously complicated airspace system they persist in using (especially in southern England). I was talking to an American pilot last week who almost fell off his chair when I told him that close by I have Class A airspace starting at 2,500 feet. What is it (apart from the resource needed to replan it) that stops them adopting something more sensible?

TJ
Cambridge EGSC

Noe wrote:

They don’t, but they tell you you are leaving controlled airspace and ask you what time of service you want outside. Then prior to rejoining (further along your route) you need to ask for clearance again.

So you need a VFR chart when flying IFR to know when you’re going to enter a TMA? I thought the whole idea with IFR is to simplify navigation.

ESME, ESMS

Peter wrote:

“Following a previous consultation it has been agreed that the TA in the UK will be raised to 18,000ft. The new consultation explores the views of stakeholders on how the change should be implemented”

https://www.caa.co.uk/News/CAA-launches-consultation-on-Transition-Altitude-change/

The consultation paper
local copy

Last Edited by alioth at 04 Aug 13:17
Andreas IOM

Dimme, yes but only if the entire flight is in CAS.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Politics is the art of the possible Nationalist / national sovereignity issues rule in Europe. Airspace will never be unified.

Only that the airspace is pretty much standardized in Europe. The UK with it’s crap airspace and more or less non-existing ATC is the outlier.

Peter wrote:

Peter, I cant see how you can say that, at the moment CAS generally starts at FL060 and as you know once 1013 is set thats where you stay, the alternative would be that almost every sector would have a differerent QNH, you would be constantly changing levels trying to keep up with it and when you crossed into mainland European airspace what would happen then, especially so if there was a big difference between the local QNH and 1013.
TJ wrote:

close by I have Class A airspace starting at 2,500 feet.

Moving the level to FL180 wouldnt change this.

Sign in to add your message