Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Airliner passing under parachute jumpers

This video is doing the rounds… popped up on FB too.

It looks only 500-1000ft below them, so the gap was only seconds. Did ATC screw up on this occassion?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Sure it’s not fake? Speed of the airplane seems slow and camera angle looks just too perfect. I’d also expect to see shocked faces and terrified camerashake…

Abeam the Flying Dream
EBKT, western Belgium, Belgium

Thought the same thing…

France

Judging from comments on parachuting sites, I don’t think it is a fake.

Administrator

At least one of the jumpers turns his head at least twice in the direction of where the airplane disappeared. The others are too busy facing the camera.

LFPT, LFPN

Real of fake (+1 from me as well), but it is not “airliner passing under parachute jumpers” but “skydivers being dropped onto passing airliner”.

Last Edited by what_next at 13 Jul 17:57
EDDS - Stuttgart

No wake turbulence? Hmmm would say that’s a fake as well…

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

There is no wake turbulence ABOVE the flight path. The vortices descend behind the airplane.

The droppers may have just missed the wake. They would have passed through that altitude only seconds later, and a miss is a miss

Also, would a parachutist notice the wake, while falling at some 100-120kt and thus passing through it wholly in a fraction of a second?

Administrator

The video is too short to show them reach the wake turbulence altitude. If they met it, and were still holding together, I’d expect a disaster. (No parachute experience.)

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom
39 Posts
Sign in to add your message