Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

NavData for personal use

I'm looking for a source of (free of charge) nav data (navaids + airports + waypoints) for Europe. The data doesn't have to be official, no lives at risk and for personal use only.

Ideally this would be a machine readable database (CSV, SQLite etc.). I found it for the US but for Europe only some Microsoft Flight Simulator files.

Anyone know of a good source?

EAD would be the ideal source but I only know of the PDF documents for each country which one could download and parse for the information but that is tedious (and stupid). Does EAD provide access to the waypoint/navaid database? ENR 4.4 of Germany says "Coordinates ... are taken from the European AIS Database (EAD)...".

The X-plane file looks interesting. The file format appears to be well documented. Now I would be interested in how accurate the data is.

If you select SDO (Static Data Output), you can download either "tab separated value" or XML files. The XML files are not AIXM, but quite close, and pretty much self-documenting.

I have written an converter utility that converts the XML files to sqlite:

LSZK, Switzerland

Hey,

perhaps you can talk to Pete (http://www.funair.cz/forum/viewforum.php?f=5&sid=f705931845597a082a5ab5446c02e146) about the database. As I recall, he uses free data and might be able to help with computer readable databases.

cheers,

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

If you select SDO (Static Data Output), you can download either "tab separated value" or XML files.

Excellent, exactly what I was looking for! It seems that with EAD Basic, one can only choose among the predefined reports and there is no report that would combine all navaids, waypoints and airports.

It seems that with EAD Basic, one can only choose among the predefined reports and there is no report that would combine all navaids, waypoints and airports.

Yes. You'll need to download navaids, designated points (4 quadrants) and airports separately.

Slightly tedious, I know.

LSZK, Switzerland

There is an open source source for NAVAIDS which is kept quite up-to-date:

EDLE, Netherlands
9 Posts
Sign in to add your message