Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Do you have any CRM habits when flying with another pilot

Do you have any habits or ideas concerning task sharing on board when you fly with your fellow pilot?

I am used to let le PNF fellow pilot handle communication. That is the minimum and takes me away a lot of work which is particularly appreciated in approach or departure (SID) phase of flight.

But I don’t know any source of someone who would have tried to get a real and whole concept together to have a good approach of CRM in a GA cockpit. Any ideas (who handles GPS and what? frequencies? and so on) ?

France

Yes: their job is to put in the squawk, call out and tick the checklist on the GTN, tell me of anything dangerous and check I’ve got three greens before landing. Absolutely nothing else unless specifically agreed.

EGTF, LFTF

I do not think that is something that can be improvised, and therefore, apart from discussing tactical decisions, I do no such thing.

LFPT, LFPN

I don’t believe single pilot’s should try to emulate multi crew flying. At best it can lead to confusion and at worst things get missed which can have safety implications. It is a completely different way of operating and I have always found it hard to try to copy.

Sure someone can handle a radio in cruise or something but I caution against it in situations where muscle memory and procedures are very much single pilot ie during approaches or serious IFR.

EGTK Oxford

JasonC wrote:

It is a completely different way of operating and I have always found it hard to try to copy

There should be nothing to copy. But are there things applicable or transposable in a way that could fit specifically the needs of GA? I think of the sterile cockpit rule as one of the more evident examples.

JasonC wrote:

I don’t believe single pilot’s should try to emulate multi crew flying

I agree.

JasonC wrote:

At best it can lead to confusion and at worst things get missed which can have safety implications

That means it needs some kind of concept not just pure application of whatever it may be.

Last Edited by Flyamax at 24 Aug 12:27
France

Flyamax wrote:

I think of the sterile cockpit rule as one of the more evident examples.

Indeed. This is something that I strictly apply ever since an instructor completely distracted me with chit chat during an approach to Toussus-le-Noble. But I would not call tht CRM. It applies to anyone onboard during arrival and approach. I seldom use the pilot isolate feature of the audio panel.

LFPT, LFPN

I don’t think it is a concept, it is a specific way of operating with two crew members both trained in the same system.

I am all for picking up tips from professional pilots but that is different from adopting their form of operation.

There should be nothing to copy. But are there things applicable or transposable in a way that could fit specifically the needs of GA?

Well Buster made a suggestion in his article that you didn’t seem to like but some procedural discipline specifically with respect to emergencies and other thangs that can kill you is one.

Last Edited by JasonC at 24 Aug 12:43
EGTK Oxford

French speaking pilots perhaps remember that a pilot magazine wrote an article in 10/2013 on this subject but any further contributions are very rare:

If we can think that two pilots are better than one, the equation comes true only if the binomial works harmoniously, without problem or situation of conflict. Flying as two pilots, in a safe and effective way, should not be improvised”. The author recalls some accidents caused by conflicting communications between the two pilots. That is going in JasonC’s direction. The article is then giving some very basic rules and methods to improve safety.

Perhaps I have to rectify myself: there should not be two pilots on board but one pilot who may, or may not, delegate some tasks to the other person on board…

JasonC wrote:

some procedural discipline specifically with respect to emergencies

So would you ask your pilot friend (supposed to know the plane as much as you do) to search the reason of a specific failure in case of an emergency if you want to concentrate on flying the plane

Last Edited by Flyamax at 24 Aug 12:53
France

Flyamax wrote:

So would you ask your pilot friend (supposed to know the plane as much as you do) to search the reason of a specific failure in case of an emergency if you want to concentrate on flying the plane

No, if it was the sort of failure that required a fix and an urgent response I should have memorised the actions required. Most failures and emergencies are not in that category. If it was something less serious I might ask them to read the emergency checklist and see if they had thoughts. But I would be reading it too to be honest.

EGTK Oxford

When we go on organised flying club trips, we usually split roles so that:

PIC flies the plane
person in the right hand seat (also a licensed pilot) does the radio (including transponder) and navigates

Usually works really well, especially on long trips when you’re going to new places.

EGBJ and Firs Farm, United Kingdom
62 Posts
Sign in to add your message