Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How many pilots in the world?

Does anyone have a good statistic about how many pilots are there in the world, if possible per country and aviation area (e.g. GA vs airlines)?

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

In Sweden, our Swedish Transport Agency publish some statistics – http://transportstyrelsen.se/sv/luftfart/Statistik/Statistik-over-certifikat/

2757 valid PPL(A) at the moment, which is not a lot. Of the PPL(A), just 350 had an instrument rating in 2013 when I asked the authority about it.

Last Edited by martin-esmi at 09 Sep 21:35

I found some statistics from different years (from 2009 till now) and they are more interesting than I expected. The US has about 600-620k pilots, corresponding to some 0.19% of the population, with Alaska topping the list with 1.3% (http://www.statemaster.com/graph/trn_act_avi_pil_percap-active-aviation-pilots-per-capita). Other countries have these numbers:

Switzerland: ~8.4k or 0.10%
Germany: ~88k or 0.11%
Austria: ~8k or 0.09%
France: ~40k or 0.06%
UK: ~30k or 0.05%
Canada: ~46k or 0.13%
Australia: ~27k or 0.11%

So there are not that many pilots, I expected them to be more. North America (US and Canada) seem to be a bit above the average, while I expect Eastern Europe and Africa to be below.

Another interesting fact is that I could not find any worldwide statistics (with a google search of 10-15 minutes), I had to search per country and the information is neither recent, nor accurate, with the US being the only country I found with detailed data.

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

One important difference when looking at these stats – in Gemany, Austria and Switzerland, glider and, IIRC, microlight pilots traditionally had pilot licences issued by the authorities, while in Britain these activities were delegated to associations outside the NAA. I believe in France as well.

If the UK and France numbers are missing the glider and/or microlight pilots, this changes – basically US is 0.2%, everybody else is around 0.1%, with Canada a bit higher.

Biggin Hill

martin-esmi wrote:

2757 valid PPL(A) [in Sweden] at the moment, which is not a lot.

If you add the LAPL(A) and national UL licenses, you get 3566. Adding (private) helicopter and glider licenses brings the figure to 5019, which is still not a lot — about 0,05% of the population.

For “perpetual” licenses like the PPL, only licenses with at least one valid rating are counted. This could make the figures difficult to compare with those of other countries unless you know exactly how the tallies have been made.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 10 Sep 11:11
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

And only 6% of all pilots are female

EGBJ, EGBP, EGTW, EGVN, EGBS

Yes it would be great to do something to increase that.

We get plenty of women on our fly-ins but rarely as pilots, and they enjoy the trip. They just need to get into the LHS

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Airborne_Again wrote:

If you add the LAPL(A) and national UL licenses, you get 3566. Adding (private) helicopter and glider licenses brings the figure to 5019, which is still not a lot — about 0,05% of the population.

This assumes that one pilot doesn’t hold multiple licences – PPL(H). PPL(A) etc…..

EDL*, Germany

Is there any statistics how many EASA pilot licenses issued each year?

Czech Republic

That would be an uninformative statistic.
EASA licences issued to newly qualified pilots. Issued to experienced, current, pilots converting from EU National Licence. Issued to pilots who’d allowed the licence to lapse for many years. Issued to foreign licence holders.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom
53 Posts
Sign in to add your message