Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Thuraya iPhone adapter

There's a new product called Thuraya SatSleeve which turns an iPhone 4/4S into a Thuraya phone. It retails for 595 € including German VAT.

In theory a good idea. The current product only supports voice but they are planning a sucessor in fall 2013 supporting data connections and the iPhone 5. Unfortunately the current SatSleeve does not support an external antenna connector and according to the product manager, the upcoming GmPRS (data connection) enabled product won't have it either.

It's a good idea but without external antenna not useable in a cockpit.

I guess it depends on the plane. I see no issue with an DR400.

United Kingdom

You have tested Thuraya data connections in a DR400?

@ Achim

mdoerr means 'cause its a wooden plane ...

EDxx, Germany

I know what he's referring to but I think he doesn't have any first hand experience to sustain his claim.

Even when flying towards the satellite in a Cessna and putting the phone on the dashboard of a Cessna 182 with its large windscreen, I found it to be not good enough for practical use. Flying outwards it was next to impossible to get a stable connection. The Thuraya signal is rather sensitive, it does not want anything between the antenna and the satellite. Also keep in mind that you might want the information most when you're in unpleasing flying conditions with turbulence, etc.

For several weeks I was puzzled why the phone got a good data connection in my study when holding it at a certain position even though my study does not point to the satellite. I then found out that the satellite signal was reflected by one window of a sykscraper and directed into my study. One day it did not work and with my binoculars I saw that the window in the skyscraper was open that day.

5 Posts
Sign in to add your message