Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Personal Autopilot Altitude Warning presetting on ground

I wonder why those devices would have that logic. It isn’t shared by Avidyne or G1000/3000 or Collins Pro Line.

EGTK Oxford

I am bit envious when reading this discussion as I have no altitude preselect nor ias mode on AP. It is one of the things (apart from turbo), which I miss the most on my airplane. I would love to have AP with altitude preselect and I hope it becomes available with dual G5 and GAD29 once this setup is approved to drive the AP. If it happens, I will use the same setting as Peter when somewhere where there is controlled airspace above the airfield, otherwise MSA makes sense…

LKHK, Czech Republic

The Avidyne EXP5000 PFD and DFC90 Autopilot of the Cirrus also remembers the last altitude setting. It will stay there until you change it.

Same for the IAS setting, stays.

Last Edited by at 03 Oct 20:52

JasonC wrote:

Really? if that is true I am shocked. Why would the last altitude ever carry over? It is not like it is a transponder setting.

Same with the Aspen as well.

My procedure is to set the initial altitude I will climb to, as I am VFR that is either the max altitude for the first VRP or an altitude just below CAS in order not to bust it.

IFR it would be the expected altitude for the SID. At ZRH you basically never get a different altitude clearance than the normal climb schedule on the SID on the ground. But also normally the clearance would be available before even powering the Aspen up (before start up via either handheld radio or just via Com 2) so the problem what to set without a clearance does not present itself.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Alexis wrote:

The Avidyne EXP5000 PFD and DFC90 Autopilot of the Cirrus also remembers the last altitude setting. It will stay there until you change it.

Same for the IAS setting, stays.

Odd. On the PA46 with the same equipment it didn’t.

EGTK Oxford

I checked one more time … look this is before my last flight, the traffic pattern altitude of 2500 ft from the last flight (above alt tape) is still set!

Alexis wrote:

I checked one more time … look this is before my last flight, the traffic pattern altitude of 2500 ft from the last flight (above alt tape) is still set!

I believed you. I wonder if it is an implementation option.

EGTK Oxford

Sure, i know … i just didn‘t trust myself, so i looked for a photo :-)

On the Aspen all the bugs are as they were, including minima, from the last flight. I know the installation menus pretty well and I don’t believe that this is configurable.

From memory the same is true of G600, though I am struggling to remember whether minima live on.

Although I have never given it much thought, I do now tend to agree with @what_next that at least some should be deleted on power down.

EGKB Biggin Hill

I think that the reason for storing that type of data could be that if you unintentionally power off the device you will not loose the data.
It is a good thing to have the data erased after power off when the flight is completed but how is the device to know that? It could just as well be that power was lost due to a CB popping in flight and then I would like the data to be restored after power on.

ESTL
Sign in to add your message