Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Track Up or North Up (merged)

With an EHSI, like in the Cirrus PFD, you have “track up” anway displayed in the HSI. On the MFD and the Nacoms I always fly N up.

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 26 Jan 08:36

If you have anti-collision (TAS) you probably would prefer track up.

LFPT, LFPN

Track Up is certainly better for situational awareness. If you fly North Up then you have one extra mental step to perform.

North Up is “less unsuitable” when VFR, because one is not generally doing the “10 degrees left” etc stuff which is commonplace in IFR. When I fly pure VFR in the UK, I refer to a North Up moving map display (Oziexplorer) because I am a tight bastard and won’t spend money on the tablet-based VFR products

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I do have TAS. But i have no problems with left and right :-) It’s just a matter of getting used to it …

I actually have better situational awareness N up, because i did it for so long.

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 26 Jan 11:57

I never understood why anyone wanted track up. Heading up, maybe, but track up? That’s totally arbitrary.

Last time I flew with track up, I confused myself by automatically doing the north→heading conversion

LSZK, Switzerland

Normally what you get is

• north up until the slaved compass system gets going, and then
  • heading up

Track Up may be a config option on some systems (not mine AFAIK) but obviously won’t work unless you are moving and the GPS is calculating a track.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I never understood why anyone wanted track up.

Good point.

This brings me to wonder about what options the G1000 actually provides. Need to check

LFPT, LFPN

Well, if i wouldn’t use N up then I’d definitely use Track up and not heading. That’s what i want to know – where I’m going !

But maybe that’s just me :-)

I using heading up, but track up wouldn’t be that much of a difference

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Flyer59, getting closer!

Heading up is not a good idea as it looks odd with a strong crosswind.

Like I said, the only correct way is track up!

EGTK Oxford
36 Posts
Sign in to add your message