Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Airbus takeover of Bombardier C-series

I think this is a very surprising and interesting move. Airbus announced that they have taken over 50.01% of the Bombardier C-series program with the remainder held by Bombardier and the government of Québec. Airbus also announced that within 10 years, they will be able to hold 100% which was kind of confirmed by Québec.

The C-series is an excellent aircraft and one hears a lot of good about it from current operators — mostly SWISS in Europe. Bombardier has been in financial trouble for some time, got the Québecois government on board but following the fight with the USA about alleged illegal subsidies, was facing severe troubles. Now Airbus managed to snatch this excellent product for pennies on the dollar, adding a whole market segment to their portfolio where Boeing has nothing and doesn’t even have the chance to find a way to compete (buy Chinese Comac? Buy Russian Superjet? Never!).

The small A320 and B737 stand no chance against the C-series — only their largest versions are selling. Apart from being desperate, Bombardier probably saw that Airbus’ power in WTO is their best chance to undo the US sanctions. Also Airbus have a manufacturing plant in Alabama which would theoretically allow the C-series to be “made in USA”. They came up with an excellent product but hit a perfect storm when it was ready.

My take on this: hats off to Airbus, genius move! Doesn’t make the airliner market less of an oligopoly though…

Excellent move. Excellent plane. As I already wrote on another thread here, for me the second most beautiful aircraft after the Concorde – and as we all know: If it looks good it flies good.

I wonder how they will call it in the future. A315?

EDDS - Stuttgart

achimha wrote:

Also Airbus have a manufacturing plant in Alabama which would theoretically allow the C-series to be “made in USA”.

More than theoretical, that is actually announced by the Bombardier and Airbus joint press release

Growing market for C Series results in second Final Assembly Line in Mobile, Alabama, serving U.S. customers

Last Edited by lionel at 18 Oct 15:22
ELLX

achimha wrote:

pennies on the dollar,

= 0

As i read it they paid nothing.
Boeing must feel like being hit with a boomerang.

pmh
ekbr ekbi, Denmark

Too bad Embraer eat C-series for lunch

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Boeing was playing silly buggers, convincing cheeto-in-command they needed protection and it bit them in the ass, big time. Well deserved. Trade barriers never work, everyone loses on them.

AdamFrisch wrote:

Trade barriers never work, everyone loses on them.

In this case Airbus and their workers in Alabama seem to have been the winners in this one.

Andreas IOM

LeSving wrote:

Too bad Embraer eat C-series for lunch

Another highly qualified statement from the North…

The C-Series is a sight more advanced and modern, a delight to fly in (I’ve had the chance on the Swiss ones) and very economical. Embraer are good planes but one generation behind.

achimha wrote:

Also Airbus have a manufacturing plant in Alabama which would theoretically allow the C-series to be “made in USA”. They came up with an excellent product but hit a perfect storm when it was ready.

The only way to hit Trump back is to do the same, make all US made planes 200% more expensive world wide leaving only the US market to them. Clearly this would result into a cold-war like scenario whereby the new enemy was Europe. It will bite both Boeing and Trump badly that by coming up with this ingenious idea they handed Airbus the currently most advanced airplane on a silver plate as well as having annoyed the whole industry.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

The Embraer also does an Immelmann when it gets a GPWS alert on approach, and a Hammerhead turn to lose speed in the pattern, or so the rumor has it.

Looks like I’ve made a lasting imprint on the Swiss cheese

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
20 Posts
Sign in to add your message