Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cheapest source for a Yaesu 550 or 750 transceiver in Europe, and does it do 8.33

Looking to buy one of those. A quick google brought it up for 349€ VAT included in Germany, plus a few Euros for postage, so let’s call it 360€.

Anyone know of any cheaper sources? (Don’t want buy from the US).

Come to think of it, isn’t the GPS function of the 750 a useless gimmick? I mean, when everything fails, one will rather use one of the various ipads or iphones on board for enroute navigation, no?

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

Come to think of it, isn’t the GPS function of the 750 a useless gimmick?

I have the 550 which doesn’t have GPS but it also lacks glideslope. I don’t miss the GPS but glideslope would be nice.

ESME, ESMS

I would agree about the GPS not being useful – unless you get stuck somewhere and the phone battery has died, which is pretty well assured at the end of the day. If the radio is all you have left working, the GPS and getting the lat/long for calling up somebody overhead on 121.50, would be damn useful.

Where to get it especially cheap, I don’t know. They seem to have the agency agreements tightly stitched up.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I got a 550 pretty cheaply on Amazon. It came with an European charger, but the local service centre still dealt with it for me when I had to send it in for testing due to poor range. They ended up sending me a ferrite to put on the headset cable, which helped a lot. I was impressed with the customer service.

Last Edited by kwlf at 09 Nov 01:08

I have the 550 which doesn’t have GPS but it also lacks glideslope

Check it. According to specs and adverts, the 550 does do ILS.

That is really interesting. When I did the 750 review it was the only one I found that did LOC+GS.

So what’s the difference?

8.33 perhaps?

The Yaesu website is not all that clear. Maybe the 750 has the USB programming.

Administrator

They’re all 8.33 of course. The difference between 550 and 750 is the GPS. See here for example.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 09 Nov 08:36

boscomantico wrote:

Check it. According to specs and adverts, the 550 does do ILS.

The Instrument Landing System (ILS) consists of a Localizer and a Glideslope. The 550 has Localizer but lacks Glideslope.

ESME, ESMS

The Instrument Landing System (ILS) consists of a Localizer and a Glideslope.

Thank you.

The 550 has Localizer but lacks Glideslope.

The Transair description is very misleading then. Shame on them (once you go to the detail page, they make it a little more clear…).

So, it’s going to be the 750 then.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 09 Nov 10:07

Yaesu website:

I do recall that the 750 was originally promoted (all over the place) as the first handheld to do the ILS.

“ILS navigation in the NAV band” suggests LOC only, but what a weird way to put it.

Administrator
44 Posts
Sign in to add your message