Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cheapest source for a Yaesu 550 or 750 transceiver in Europe, and does it do 8.33

boscomantico wrote:

Well, it’s a definite thumbs down, at least on some aspects of it:

Will you keep it or are you thinking of reselling? In which case, I am interested :)

I could imagine using it for a lot of stuff like getting the clearance on ground when the avionics are still off. Also I have the possibility to connect it to the airplane antenna, so it would be interesting to see how it performs like that.

What happens to the range, if you stick the antenna out0 the storm window?

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

The range would still be poor – I have a wooden aircraft with no canopy so no need to dangle it outside. It is sufficient to contact atc from outside any atz but not sufficient for en-route basic service or Mayday calls.

I sent my 450 unit back to Yaesu, who sent me a ferrite for the headset cable which helped considerably. I’m still building an external antenna though. If it doesn’t help I’ll have to install a Trig or similar.

Last Edited by kwlf at 06 Jan 16:18

I bet that the limited range was due to some sort of interference.

My Ipad2 GPS is virtually useless in the TB20 but works in an SR22 and most others.

All you need is some dodgy USB charger and you will have enough radiation to affect VHF/UHF nav kit.

The other thing one can do with these transceivers is to install a loop into the panel somewhere, through which the rooftop antenna cable passes (two BNC connectors with a short cable joining them) and then if you need to use the handheld seriously you can connect a double-ended BNC cable to the rooftop antenna, so the handheld gets the rooftop antenna. I have that in mine and even the old ICOM was getting tens of nm VHF range.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I’ll get the 750 now instead of the Bose. Any shopping option suggestions for good price in EU? Thanks.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Can someone please confirm the
550 and 750 will receive and transmit on 8,33 khz spaced freqs?
Thank you!

always learning
LO__, Austria

affirm

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Thanks Peter.
Sporty‘s Website has a Question section that shows this:

Is it 8.33 khz compatible ?
Gordon B on Aug 31, 2017
Hide answers
BEST ANSWER: The radio can receive at 8.33 Khz but will not transmit on 8.33 Khz. Eric C Staff on Aug 31, 2017

Maybe it’s outdated or inaccurate!

always learning
LO__, Austria

I have a 550 and I can say with 140% certainty that it can receive and transmit 8.33 kHz channels.

ESME, ESMS

How about just plain wrong

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Looking at previous posts above, especially around #9, I wonder if Yaesu have done a firmware upgrade.

It makes no sense to receive 8.33 channels but not transmit them. I don’t see a hardware cost saving. Actually the cost of implementing 8.33k over just 25k is almost zero and was almost zero for decades, which is why e.g. the original GNS430 did 8.33.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message