Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

SR22 N844MS - chute deployment or not?

here ASN

The word on the UK sites is that the pilot was orbiting at 300ft on final and stalled it, or possibly stalled on a go-around.

The chute door is out but no sign of the chute or the risers. Would the rocket alone pull out the risers from the fuselage?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I guess not, not to any substantial effect. Looks like a very hard touch down.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Also possible they were cut out so that the wind doesn’t blow away the wreck, but I agree it more looks like no deployment and door open due to crash.

Édit: someone could also have removed the chute so that it doesn’t pose a risk to people working on the wreck

Last Edited by Noe at 27 Nov 08:12

According to the reports no deployment or attempted deployment as below the usually accepted height (and maybe for other reasons as well).

With no tracks or other marks on the ground, it appears to have come down mostly vertically but the right way up. Serious injuries to the two occupants, according to reports.

Administrator

The rocket wasn’t fired otherwise you’d see rips in the fuselage skin causes by the risers.

I suggest it came down at a steepish angle, bounced (at least) once then stopped. There could well be drag marks as there aren’t many pictures covering all angles, and I also suggest there could be a picture showing a big gouge where the prop contacted the ground at an angle and still under power.

The rocket wasn’t fired otherwise you’d see rips in the fuselage skin causes by the risers.

Is the rocket powerful enough to do that? If you watch this video

it looks like the risers don’t get ripped out until later, when the weight of the aircraft is under the fully deployed chute.

Administrator

N770CP has similarities and was also low level. The pilot did not deploy although considered doing so.

I think the evidence is that the parachute should usually be fully inflated within 8 seconds of deployment and the risers will be gone within maybe four seconds as the weight starts to be taken by the chute. I think there have been for or five low level deployments and partial inflations.

There is debate about just how low it is beneficial to deploy and some comment about N770CP.

Of course the account is anecdocal with respect to height and reasons but will be clearer when the report is published, but as we all understand after a go around decisions need to be made pretty quickly during the intial phase and probably largely on the basis of a predefined plan, but there is plenty going on anyway, the more so after a go around than a routine departure.

Last Edited by Fuji_Abound at 27 Nov 15:54

I believe the chute needs a bit of time and vertical airspeed for the ring to come down so that it can fully open up. That’s why it doesn’t work below 400ft or better 500ft. 300ft is well too low is what I have read.

Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

CAPS and FLAPS

I think there is evidence (from one deployment anyway) that 400 feet might be the absolute minimium, below which, the outcome is likely to be better without chute, with the exception of the G5, where it is higher, but probably no one knows exactly how much higher to the minimium.

It is obvioulsy the initial nose down attitude which is not helpful.

Another way which one Cirrus centre in the US introduced to me recently was to verbally affirm CAPS alive as part of the climb out process on passing the briefed altitude but aligning with the flaps is probably just as good for most pilots I would have thought, if the association with the flaps is not always the perfect one.

Unfortunately there have been quite a number of deployments below 400 feet whithout survivors, so it is more than possible for the pilot to react quickly enough to deploy at very low level.

25 Posts
Sign in to add your message