Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Your 2017 flying year, how many hours, and aspirations for 2018?

loco wrote:

Svalbard

Make it in February and it’s a fly-in!

Did 211 hours PIC in 2017.

Included a gap where all I got to fly was a simulator.

Four types: PA-18, L-39, C510 and C525B.

Two new type ratings.

For 2018, get better at flying the 525B. Do some more trips. Finally get the tailwheel rating and have something fun to fly low and slow.

EGTK Oxford

2017:

• Finally, since taking my first lesson in 2000, gained my UK NPPL.
  • Flew in two new types; Europa and TB20
  • Found and agreed purchase of perfectly spec’d plane only to have seller pull out of the deal

2018:

• Upgrade to EASA PPL
  • Find another plane to buy
  • Get the wife interested in going places by private plane
S57
EGBJ, United Kingdom

Almost the same as last year…

156 Hours, 122 flights, mostly in the PA32 Saratoga with about 12 hours in the PA28.

Highlights were making it to Montenegro, Corsica and Sardinia.

Most frequent trips were 16 commuting trips to Exeter over the summer and 16 trips to the Channel Islands over the year.

Goal for 2018 – fly over the Alps instead of being a chicken and flying the long way around!

@jasonC where did you fly the L-39?

Alex
Shoreham (EGKA) White Waltham (EGLM), United Kingdom

I flew twice by 5/1/2017. Then wing wood problems were discovered, and I was ill for the first time since early childhood, with 2 emergency hospital admissions, and recurring lung infection.
In October, after a private CT scan of thorax and abdomen, and blood tests, I was told no problems with kidneys, liver, lungs, arteries. But a previously unknown and so far asymptomatic gall stone was detected.
I then got a rental check-out on a Tomahawk. Surprisingly I’d not lost any skill. Good landing with crosswind gusting over the limit, and a PFL from the circuit on a Warrior check-out was a gentle touch-down, on the numbers, with the stall warning sounding.
The wing is ready to refit, my biennial SEP Rating expires November 2019, and my annual EASA Class 2 expires December 2018.
Back to life. Might buy a plane for myself in 2018.

Last Edited by Maoraigh at 29 Dec 20:19
Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

64 hours this year. Plan for next year is to at least fly to Oshkosh which should bring those hours up massively from this year.

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

56 hours this year. Not enough real trips (more than 200nm one way), only 2 this year. Too busy at work.

That needs to change in 2018! At least 2 long trips to Western Europe, one to EDNY (800nm one way), the other one to be defined.

Also, I plan to revalidate my FAA IR and a new panel for my Europa… No real added capabilities, just synthetic vision, but a big touch screen in front of me.

Belgium

Only about 70 this year due to an engine rebuild on my Twincom, but managed to do a little flying in my son’s 172.

EGCJ, United Kingdom

I did 213 hours in total, 40 were instructing and 135 were under IFR. Aircraft were Mooney, C152 and C172. I landed at 47 airports I hadn’t been before, La Paz (SLLP) probably being the highlight. Besides our great trip and the instructing we had a few very memorable trips with friends over to France.

Moreover, I have quite some right seat passenger time with Mrs. terbang and a few friends.

Aspirations for 2018: getting home again and hopefully doing as many hours as in 2017 or a few more.

EDFM (Mannheim), Germany

158 hrs in 2017, which is slightly above my 10-year average. About 2/3 was instructing. Only new destination was Vaerloese which is only 15 NM from home base – it is an abandoned military base that just reopened for an airshow allowing flying visitors. I only left my native FIR once in 2017 – for a short school flight to Sweden. I had more diversity with aircraft – I flew 20 different ones from among a dozen different types. The only new type flown this year was the Belgium Sonaca 200 prototype, possibly the best handling aircraft I have flown.

Aspirations for 2018 is to somehow get the courage to leave the circuit and go to Norway (again), Prague (for the first time) and/or Northern Germany (Kiel/Flensburg/Lübeck). But I have obligations with several VFR and IFR students, and they do hold high priority for occupying the time I have for flying.

huv
EKRK, Denmark
Sign in to add your message