Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Silly aviation proverbs

I thought we already had a thread on this topic but I can’t find it. Not even on google. I think some of these exist mainly to excuse the sometimes poor PPL training. Let’s start with some from my PPL training:

There are bold pilots and there are old pilots but there are no old bold pilots.

Better to be down and wishing you were up than being up and wishing you were down.

I have just read one in the US AOPA mag which I had not heard before:

A wise pilot knows when he’s made his last landing. A foolish pilot does not know when he’s made his last takeoff.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Three useless things in an emergency: fuel in the bowser, runway behind you and sky above you…

Wheels up landings: those who have and those that will..,

Last Edited by AnthonyQ at 17 Mar 16:35
YPJT, United Arab Emirates

Gravity sucks.

Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

Only time you can have too much fuel is when you’re on fire.

My favourite ones:

In the cockpit: if it’s red or dusty, don’t touch it.

If you deviate from a rule, it must be a flawless performance (e.g., if you fly under a bridge, don’t hit the bridge.

and also this one, though not really a proverb:

Last Edited by Ultranomad at 17 Mar 18:03
LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Following an engine failure at night. When you near the ground, turn on the landing light. If you don’t like what you see, turn it off again.

The engine doesn’t know it’s over water.

The utterly stupid The second engine is to take you to the scene of the crash.

And the rather more sensible: Flesh, Metal, Paper and Aviate, Navigate, Communicate

Last Edited by Timothy at 17 Mar 18:26
EGKB Biggin Hill

The propeller is a big cooling fan: when it stops working, the pilot starts sweating.

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

Newton and Bernoulli take precedence over Marconi and the FAA/EASA.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

If you push the stick forward, the houses get bigger. If you pull the stick back, they get smaller. That is, unless you keep pulling the stick all the way back, then they get bigger again.

Good judgment comes from experience. Unfortunately, experience usually comes from bad judgment.

A male pilot is a confused soul who talks about women when he’s flying, and about flying when he’s with a woman.

EGKL, United Kingdom

One i mentioned just a thread ago

raise the dead

24 Posts
Sign in to add your message