Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Galileo satellite system

Yeah; the UK could do what my soon to be ex wife did back in 1999: “had you stayed, we would have bought all this [list of stuff worth 20k]” and handed me the list, or else [you won’t see the kids again] Pretty normal stuff really; happens a thousand times every day.

But seriously what use is yet another GPS system, when the American one is perfectly good enough, and if America ever becomes your enemy, it’s game over for the UK. I don’t for a moment doubt that the UK could easily afford to stick up 30 or whatever satellites up there (especially if they have other uses) but why bother?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It is a strange world that you can enter into a contract for this stuff (the UK Government), without actually having any control over whether your masters (the UK electorate) might order you to renege on the contract you have just signed.

Indeed; democracy is a really bad idea

Administrator

Two reasons for Galileo. One is that there are parts of Europe where GPS signals cannot be relied upon. The swcond is Donald Trump.

France

“Now that Galileo is almost operational the UK is about to lose access to it and the conservative government is planning their own space port in Scotland.”
And their own navigation satellite system?
What if Scotland escapes the UK, and is accepted into the EU?
The news media must be completely under the control of the same people who control the government, as the don’t spell out the lunacy of their policies – regardless of which puppets are in power.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

I think the very reasonable point is that is there actually any reasonable chance of GPS not being available other than a case where there are many many more pressing issues at hand?

If Scotland attempted to join the EU I suspect the major problem will be natives wondering why they can’t have their one euro note from the BoS

Two reasons for Galileo. One is that there are parts of Europe where GPS signals cannot be relied upon. The swcond is Donald Trump.

I am not sure about either of those. Where is GPS (NAVSTAR) not received in Europe but Galileo would be? And Galileo predates Trump by many years (regardless of whether Trump would damage the US economy by turning off GPS).

I think the very reasonable point is that is there actually any reasonable chance of GPS not being available other than a case where there are many many more pressing issues at hand?

There is no such chance. Only in a large war would GPS be turned off, and then everybody will have bigger problems.

So I still cannot see the point of Galileo, other than

• to show Europe can do it
  • to put some money into European technology

which is fair enough, but is not the argument normally put forward.

Administrator

Frauen und Gentlemen,

In order to clarify any possible misunderstanding I should like to point out that what was meant by words to the effect of the UK being “shut out” of the Galileo project is that UK companies and organisations will no longer be able to participate in the Galileo project nor bid on any of its contracts nor receive any GSA funds. The UK will not have a say on decisions made concerning the system and UK nationals will be treated like any other third-party nationals when it comes to working in security-sensitive positions.

To anyone familiar with the (fabulously lucrative) project the possibility of this happening should have come as no surprise.

It most certainly does not mean that the navigation signal or most of the services (open, commercial, safety of life) will not be available in the UK. Those are global services with worldwide coverage (well, below 75° latitude anyway).

The impact will be felt mostly by the UK’s aerospace sector. If I am allowed to speculate for a moment, this may be why the Prime Minister has pledged funds for another satellite navigation system even though the UK at present lacks the capability to independently develop, launch and operate one.

Of concern to aviators however, is the future of LPV in the UK. This might be worth asking the CAA about.

Last Edited by 1521 at 31 Aug 23:45

Of concern to aviators however, is the future of LPV in the UK.

Why would that be, given that all aviation stuff is firmly based on the US Navstar?

It most certainly does not mean that the navigation signal or most of the services (open, commercial, safety of life) will not be available in the UK. Those are global services with worldwide coverage (well, below 75° latitude anyway).

What has been reported in the press is that the UK won’t get the keys to decrypt the encrypted signal. This should not matter because the UK will always get the keys for the Navstar signal

I get the feeling is that this UK GPS stuff is 100% about State support of UK satellite technology companies (which is fair enough – it is an important sector).

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Why would that be, given that all aviation stuff is firmly based on the US Navstar?

LPV in Europe is also firmy based on EGNOS, which is a European system. Not that I see any possibility of EGNOS being made unavailable to the UK.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 01 Sep 07:10
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
Sign in to add your message