Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Wing comes off a PA28 during a checkride with an examiner (and wing spar structure discussion)

That video is absolutely chilling, Steve. Thanks so much for posting it! That’s on my checklist from now on (always do that on the elevator, but the wing?) Does rather confirm my cynic’s view that the 5 bolts are only there because someone forgot to tighten the first four!

EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom

The video has been removed

Probably for legal reasons

I looked for it because you can download a FB video and re-host it somewhere more reliable, but it seems to be gone for now.

It showed someone waggling the end of a PA28 wing, and a gap of about 1cm (!) appearing at the root of the wing, between it and the airframe. Basically all the wing bolts were very loose.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Link on PP**** to Vimeo still works, but I can’t copy it.
Could it be staged? With a wing being removed for some reason?

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

It is on Liveleak here
https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=LVGr_1524349750

It could be staged, sure…

But anybody who has been even peripherally involved in GA maintenance will know this is possible.

Administrator

OK, my Piper 181 is not on the list for the AD as it has inspection panels each side of the main spar as well as an long thin inspection panel right at the wing root.

I think I’ll remove the panels and have a look this weekend. I think I know what to look for but any advice welcome! I’ll also take the Boroscope.

Thanks in advance

United Kingdom

Article about a preliminary NTSB report.

Looking at that LH bolt hole, the surface finish is really rough. That sort of surface is more likely to initiate cracks. These things should be really smooth, AFAIK. I also wonder how old some parts of that crack are.

Administrator

Metal fatigue in multiple locations on an aircraft model that’s not known for wings falling off. I wouldn’t be entirely surprised if it turned out that the aircraft had been aerobatted multiple times in the way the one in the AOPA video posted earlier shows.

Andreas IOM

Something comforting about the continuous wing spar on Mooney aircraft…,

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

I wouldn’t be entirely surprised if it turned out that the aircraft had been aerobatted multiple times in the way the one in the AOPA video posted earlier shows.

Maybe this?

Administrator
Sign in to add your message