Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Danger areas in the Channel, and Eurocontrol routings through them

See post #09 above for SD screenshot.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Also, if you use the Weekend view in SD, they disappear.

EGKB Biggin Hill

@Peter

Purely by coincidence, I am going IFR Caen to Glasgow tomorrow and have filed via NEVIL, which means I will encounter exactly this scenario. I’ll report back

EGKB Biggin Hill

Tomorrow is a Monday so it should not work, regardless of whether the route validates.

I have often got routes validated through this area but London Control always gave me another waypoint (or a heading) to avoid it.

If yours works on a Monday, it means London Control have a “channel” to check the status.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I intend to contact Plymouth Mil while still in Deauville airspace and see whether I can get a clearance I can then report to London on first contact.

All in the name of enquiry

EGKB Biggin Hill

I’m sorry, but that makes no sense. So, whilst in the Brest FIR you’re going to get a DACS/DAAIS from Plymouth Mil? Perhaps they will say “fill your boots” and you’re going to relay this to London Control who you then think will provide a service through there?

Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

There are Airways through the DAs, as has been pointed out, so there must be some liaison. I’ll see what happens, but apologise for making no sense.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Dave_Phillips wrote:

So, whilst in the Brest FIR you’re going to get a DACS/DAAIS from Plymouth Mil?

The D-areas extend to the FIR boundary, so if arriving from the south how could you possibly do it except by calling whilst in Brest FIR?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

ATC routes through restricted/danger areas are typically not universally available. They tend to be “conditional routes” (CDR) and are available from time to time, coinciding with the actual use of the restricted airspace (“flexible use of airspace”)

I just had a quick look at M185, which BTW has an MEA of 20,000ft, and it indeed it is a CDR1/3.

• CDR 1 are routes available during fixed time periods (e.g., Mon-Fri). You can plan them during the times where they are available, otherwise the flight plan is rejected
  • CDR 2 are made available (or not) daily as required, availability is notified via a special availabiliry message. Planning as per above – plannable, but not reliably so. I believe there is a time limit on how many days ahead you can plan to use them
  • CDR 3 are made available tactically during the day only, so are effectively at ATC’s discretion.

In NONE of these cases does the pilot have to do his/her own coordination. If you file it and the plan is accepted, you should be able to fly it. If ATC clear you on it, you are fine.

Biggin Hill

If ATC clear you on it, you are fine.

I think that in the context of a Eurocontrol IFR flight, i.e. London Control, if ATC clear you then you are always “legally safe” (except for Rule 5 which remains the pilot’s responsibility, and same for obstacle clearance except when vectored).

AIUI, the way this works is that at the start of each ATC shift, somebody digs out the notams for their sector and writes everything applicable on a board which the whole room can see. No doubt this is done with computers nowadays but you get my drift

So ATC should know about D activity. And this leads to the Q as to why I never before got a transit of that area at any time, even on weekends. It is probably back to what Dave Philips said i.e. below FL195 it is Class G i.e. OCAS and London Control aren’t going to give you an enroute service of any kind OCAS (they can give an FIS i.e. “Basic” at the two ends). But something must have changed because I got one the other day…

which BTW has an MEA of 20,000ft

Exactly… it isn’t Class G. It is Class C.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message