Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Small bag for aircraft chocks

I am trying to reorganise stuff that I keep in the baggage compartment. I have got 3 pairs of wheel chocks (http://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/personalized-aluminum-wheel-chocks-safety-yellow-pair.html) which I keep in a relatively large (compared to the size of the chocks) plastic storage box. I am thinking of putting them into a lightweight water repellant bag (to avoid dirt and water spreading into the baggage compartment) to conserve space and be more flexible with space usage.

I probably need to go to an outdoor sports/camping/mountaineering shop to find such a bag and haven’t been able to find one of the internet (I mainly get rucksacks) and am wondering whether anyone has any bags that they can recommend based on their experience.

Wolfgang

EGTF, EGLK, United Kingdom

Have you looked at footbal/rugby boot bag?

Nympsfield, United Kingdom

You might want to look at shops selling yacht equipment, here is an example of a waterproof bag in various sizes made out of sturdy material. I am sure there are similar shops and offers in the UK.

Waterproof Bags

RXH
EDML - Landshut, Munich / Bavaria

I carry a vast amount of junk in the back of the plane and have found the best way to organise it is to put it into rigid plastic boxes, like this

but small, about 30Lx15Wx15H (cm), and one can then put stuff like luggage straight on top of them, so no floor space is really wasted.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thanks for your responses!

Peter, I have used similar boxes actually, however I have found them to be too rigid for the DA40’s baggage compartment as the back of the baggage compartment is rather curved, which is why I am looking for something more flexible to hold the chocks.

I came across a drawstring bag like this https://www.underarmour.co.uk/en-gb/ua-ozsee-sackpack/1240539.html?dwvar_1240539_color=001, which I ordered for that purpose, however found the volume to be too small (only 15 litres) so I am trying a drawstring bag with a volume of 25 litres now (https://www.underarmour.co.uk/en-gb/ua-undeniable-sackpack/1261954.html?dwvar_1261954_color=600).

I found it amazing that it is difficult to find a simple drawstring bag (similar to a cotton laundry bag found at hotels but water repellant), almost every outdoor place sells rucksacks instead (for even a lower price). Maybe I need to go for a simple bag with handles. And ironically I have found the cheaper ones do not have any padding, which is what I am looking for so that I can really compress the whole bag. Essentially I am just looking for a more glorified and durable plastic bag! I will also consider the waterproof bags suggested by RXH.

Wolfgang

EGTF, EGLK, United Kingdom

I have never worried about putting wet chocks in the plane. Maybe I am doing something wrong.

EGTK Oxford

I think Jason you are being ironic? Shorrick was the master at that, but he’s long gone

Wet chocks are probably OK but a wet aircraft cover is a huge no-no since it will cause massive condensation, which gets inside the avionics. Such an item has to be removed after the flight and put outside somewhere (on the plane, if it is a cover).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Not ironic, I put wet chocks in the baggage all the time. An aircraft cover is of course different.

I would try a camping store or as previously mentioned a dry bag from a sailing store.

Last Edited by JasonC at 30 Apr 19:44
EGTK Oxford
8 Posts
Sign in to add your message