Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Oxygen retrofit - any available solutions

Today I‘m flying the Bonanza with a portable Oxygen system using the Oxyfly.

What I don’t like so much is, that all the oxygen hosepipes are also portable, so they are running through the cabin.

Now I‘m making up my mind if there is a possibility to retrofit the hosepipe system only to have a certified hosepipe system with one entry point where I can attach the Oxyfly to the hosepipes and four exit point for each seat.

The Oxyfly can not be certified, it has to stay manually removeable.

Any ideas?

EDDS , Germany

It is really a question on whether installing some low pressure pipework is a Major or Minor modification and then how to proceed legally.

I am sure it is Minor under both FAA and EASA but I don’t work in certification so my view is worth what you are paying for it

The end fittings can presumably be purchased, as airframe parts, or from Mountain High, etc, because most turbocharged pistons, and turboprops, have fitted oxygen systems. You run the pipes behind the trim and drill holes for the outlets. I don’t know what material the pipes are; if I was doing this I would use metal so there is some degree of fire protection in the event of a wiring fire in the proximity of the pipe, which the oxygen would feed really nicely…

The advantage you have over most fitted systems is that your system doesn’t contain a high pressure cylinder. In the traditional installations there is a pressure gauge in the instrument panel which obviously has to be fed directly from the cylinder, and this is done using a metal pipe with a tiny diameter internal hole.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
2 Posts
Sign in to add your message