Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How often would you have to fly to get fed up with it?

I tend to structure my trips to around one per week. I don’t find the environment all that pleasant – very noisy and tiring. So for me there has to be a payoff – in terms of scenery, a nice destination, or a meet-up with nice people.

However I have known a few people who want to fly as much as possible, don’t mind where, and would fly several times a day if they could; usually it is possible at that level only by becoming an instructor.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

On many flying days, I can do up to 8 or 9 individual flights when flying cadets, other days it can be one or two longer exam flights. I never tire of it – the variety of people and teaching/examining is what makes it fun for me. For me it is balanced with a desk job some days of the week so I think that helps as well. On occasion fatigue can set in though and I can feel when I’m ready for a week off on holiday or suchlike. I would also observe that a good ANR headset (Bose A20 for me, in ear communication plugs + helmet for other work) is essential and makes a massive difference.

Now retired from forums best wishes

I’m quite happy to tow gliders all day (even our small club, this is usually a dozen short flights in one day). Even though I passed my checkride at Houston Southwest (KAXH) 21 years ago (21 years in August), every so often I look out the window and still have the moment of wonder that I’m actually doing this.

It is quite tiring, but a good kind of tired.

I even quite enjoy just doing odd jobs at the airfield (even mowing the parking area!) or tinkering with the aircraft. Soon I will have a new Mode-S transponder to install…

Andreas IOM

Depends strongly what I am flying and in what environment.

PPL flying I have way too few time, so if I was given a chance I’d fly day by day. Longest I’ve done on one day was ZRH-LYN-PPG-AVN-GVA in a C150, would not repeat that…. in the Mooney it was ZRH-BEG-PDV, 6 hours approx. 3 legs per day should be enough… For a daytrip I’d like to have a destination no further than about 250 NM so it would give me 2 hours approx each way, but other than that, I’d love to do some exploring in Europe… will remain wishful thinking for the time being though.

Doing flying like paradrop or agricultural in an AN2 for instance, I’ve done up to 10 flights a day. No problem there. In an Airline environment 4 legs should be enough too, this is what most airlines do.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

I think a trip once a week would be optimum for me. I rarely do short flights—it’s almost always going somewhere. I like good weather. I feel pleasure when the flight is easy. When I’m under time pressure, the weather is iffy and I’m in the mountains, I like it less & sometimes ask myself, “why am I doing this?”

In fact I do a trip every two weeks, mainly because I have to take a commercial flight to my plane which is based in a different country from where I live.

I know from prior experience that financial pressure causes me to lose my interest in flying. When I can afford it, I want it.

Last Edited by WhiskeyPapa at 11 Jul 17:32
Tököl LHTL

I don’t get tired of flying as such and would gladly do it every day, given the opportunity. The strongest limiting factor is stress from all other aspects of life: if it’s not too high, flying actually cures it, but if it’s excessive, it becomes unsafe to fly in the first place, and this is what actually caused my IR to lapse.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

I could fly all day, without getting fed up with it. Just flying? Then gliders is perfect for me, but in the Mooney I like to go to places I’ve never been, that makes it all the more fun and it justifies the costs somewhat.

EHTE, Netherlands

I love the flying. I also like the flexibility and the opportunities it gives but the flying itself most of all. It is a technical challenge and a great break from everyday life.

EGTK Oxford

I get Ultranomad wrote:

I don’t get tired of flying as such and would gladly do it every day, given the opportunity. The strongest limiting factor is stress from all other aspects of life: if it’s not too high, flying actually cures it, but if it’s excessive, it becomes unsafe to fly in the first place, and this is what actually caused my IR to lapse.

Flying for the just fun of flying, I go into something cheap per hour that does not have shiny avionics, no flight planning or anything just jump and fly it locally (e.g. vintage twailwheel aircraft or wooden gliders) and I never get enough of it and it melts all the stress from the week

Flying for going A=>B, I go into something cheap per nm with shiny instruments and do proper planing and enjoy it, though it puts you under a bit of stress as you tend to think more, so there is point where too much flying here hurts a bit

I never understood how some enjoy flying locally long hours in complex/fast aircraft, personally it just kills me and besides it breaks my bank account

Instructing is a different matter

Last Edited by Ibra at 11 Jul 23:43
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I love to fly – period. That said, I much prefer going places than bimbling about the local area. I do the latter mainly to stay current, although a night flight over L.A. is one of the more spectacular things one can do in GA flying. I also find it concentrates my mind on something that’s totally outside my day-to-day life – walking out to the airplane the worries and stresses of daily life fall away. In a way, flying is the most relaxing thing I can think of. Therefore – I doubt I ever tire of it!

17 Posts
Sign in to add your message