Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How often would you have to fly to get fed up with it?

I don’t think I would get tired of it. The more I fly, the shorter the idle time in between gets before I “have” to fly again. I find instructing much more varied and rewarding than I thought it would be up front (for several reasons). The briefing also takes time, so the actual flying time gets nicely portioned out in a day or evening with interesting time in between. Towing gliders can be exhaustive. It takes about 1 hour to get to the glider site in a Cub in the morning, then 20+ tows all day, and 1 h in the Cub back again late i the evening. After such a day, I don’t “need” to fly for several days, mainly because of fatigue (if I was 20, I guess I wouldn’t mind doing it 7 days a week at least for a while). It’s been some time since I towed now, and feel the “itch”.

Cross country: I try every once in a while, but I just don’t “get it”. More than 1 – 1 1/2 hour straight and level, and I start to wish I already was there and back again, or took a car or an airline. Flying to fly-ins etc is fun though. On the other hand, I have started liking old school cross country. Paper map, clock and compass. I would rather use SD for “daily use” because it is so quick and simple (and therefore also safe), but old school nav is actually fun in it’s own right, particularly when the weather is less than optimal with low cloud layers and the watch becomes important (there is always a moving map somewhere, so I won’t get lost or anything).

Then there is Nov-Feb, dark and cold, better used for building/maintenance, and gives a long enough brake.

I think what happens is people find ways of flying they like, and don’t get tired of, or they quit.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Flying is quite exhausting to me, mainly because I lack currency I think. If I was as current as I am as a car driver I could probably fly for hours every day. As it stands the most that I’ve flown on a single day was two 100 nm flights, each taking slightly under 90 minutes. I don’t think I would want to fly more than 2×2 hrs on more than twice a week at the moment.

Last Edited by MedEwok at 14 Jul 18:49
Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

Cars are much quieter however. Even a Trabant is orders of magnitude quieter than an SEP. It might even vibrate less

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The more I fly, the more I want to fly. In the summer, especially the part when I ferry my kids around Europe to see their grandparents, I can do 3 to 5 hours a day a few days in a row. The first thing I do when I have time after landing is plan the next flight.

EGTF, LFTF

Coming back from longer trip at 16000ft over pretty terrain, it again struck me how fortunate we are and how wonderful aviation is. And when I got into the LA basin and got an arrival procedure to follow, with lots of traffic and amendments, it was so much fun (mind you, it’s not always fun and it’s easy to get overwhelmed and not have any fun at all, but on this day the challenges were within my capacity). And ultimately that’s what makes aviation so rewarding – it’s challenging. You tend to give up on things that are not.

I’ve been flying for good portion of my life. Starting as young as 16 flying gliders, and now being over 50, you can guess I hardly can get fed up with flying. I’ve never been professionally involved in aviation except short period few years ago when I was co-owner of startup ATO.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

If it’s flying we’re talking about, meaning flying the plane in relation to the air and terrain, I could do it several times a week and enjoy it. The rest of it, paperwork and procedural hassles, I simply dislike, without exception. If my flying involved a lot of stuff like flight plans, calling airports on the phone, slots, journey logs, aircraft log entries for every flight and so on, one flight would be too much (I would pursue other interests)

17 Posts
Sign in to add your message