Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EASA to FAA diary

Just a quick update:
I have signed up with Sheppardair (88USD) and bought an ios app from ASA (10USD) to prepare for the written test. Since more than 10 years have passed since I took the (eu) ATPL test this will be quite a nice brush up for me.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Peter_Mundy wrote:

I understood that electronic log books were fine in EASAland as well.

The Swedish CAA recently published a note stating that electronic logbooks were fine as long as you provide signed printouts on request. I asked them if this did not amount to an Alternate Means of Compliance (AltMoC), but they said no as the signed printouts were considered the “real” logbook.

Snoopy wrote:

Just read somewhere that german lba requires logbook on paper. You don’t need to carry the logbook with you, only provide it on request. In that case just print it and sign it… (my opinion).

Apparently the Swedish CAA is of the same opinion.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 01 Oct 18:38
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Peter_Mundy wrote:

Depends on the national authority, they can derogate.
Just read somewhere that german lba requires logbook on paper. You don’t need to carry the logbook with you, only provide it on request. In that case just print it and sign it… (my opinion).

always learning
LO__, Austria

As I am doing a license conversion from an existing easa license to faa no visa is required, only tsa approval because it is my first us faa license.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Thank you Snoopy for this detailed report. I am looking into flight training in the US, it would be making some dual time but not really getting a rating.
Did you ask the M1 visa with the interview in a US embassy (and an extra fee too) ?
Does the school has to have an approval for training alien students ?
Edit : the answer is = only part 141 schools involved with SEVIS program can train international students on study visas (source AOPA US)

Last Edited by Jujupilote at 01 Oct 11:27
LFOU, France

Great pics Looks like a fair bit of crosswind on that approach.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

very convenient that the FAA/FARs does/do not specify how to log so electronic is ok as well.

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

The other day I made it to Orlando and St. Augustine for the Validation and Flight Review (it’s not called BFR anymore because the bennial vs biannual was too confusing apparently).
The theoretical part was very educational. Disected the areas sectional chart, went over airspace categories and procedures together with a CFI. I did some reading up beforehand (Google „BFR prep“).

Then it was time for the actual flight in a Piper 28-161.
Just a nice flight to a nearby training area for slow flight, stalls, steep turns, power idle pick a landing area (so many nice long straight roads). Touch and goes at the end. It was windy and my landings were shitty. Dropped it like a brick. Instructor said „let me show you“ – his landing was even shittier including a bounce – „it really is gusty out today“ he said thereafter. ;)

I got a piece of paper from the CFI with a sign off for the flight review. Also created an entry into my logten that he signed on my phone – very convenient that the FAA/FARs does/do not specify how to log so electronic is ok as well.

It’s always great to experience the practicality of GA in the US.
Park car for free, walk 5 meters into flight school/office, have coffee, walk another 15 meters out the door and sit down in the plane, done.
Rental prices USD: Between <100 for a C150 and <150 for the ifr Pa-28.

Compared to my airport:
Park car in multi level garage (pay), walk 5 minutes to security, then show license to airport staff, walk 15 minutes to plane, unwrap all the shit from the plane and carry it to hangar etc… and pay 50€ landing fee upon return.
Rental prices: >140€ for a DA20, >240€ for a DA40, >400€ for a SR22. >480€ for DA42-VI

The next day I met the FAA examiner for a 10 minute chat and to do the IACRA (faa license website) paperwork. Paid 50 US and got my easa „piggy back“ temp. faa airman certificate for private pilot airplane single engine land. The card will be mailed to my home adress.

Next step:
Either take the ATP single theoretical exam and practical exam or maybe take the CPL single/multi exam and then practical single/multi and practical IR exam, I’m still deciding…but most probably it will be ATP single.

Some pictures:
Drive car to airplane for jumpstart.
Lots of nice planes (King Air, L39, TBM etc..)
Crosswind.
Beautiful area (Crescent Beach).

always learning
LO__, Austria

Costs so far:

TSA Check 130 USD (online)
Class 1 Medical 115 USD (2 hour bikeride)
TSA Fingerprinting 99 USD (5 hour bikeride)
Flight School deposit 250 EUR (289 USD, online)

Total
633 USD

always learning
LO__, Austria

Update:
Got my FAA Class 1 Medical last week. Very straightforward process. Took 45 minutes. 115 USD incl. tax.
Differences to EASA: No EKG if <35 years old. They are a bit stricter about vision and have more tests for specific vision (near far etc..) than the standard wall board.

Update 2:
Got the TSA email regarding fingerprinting. Selected a provider, filled out the form, print and go. Got the TSA Fingerprinting done yesterday and the “training approval” email from the TSA today. Now have 180 days to commence and 365 days to finish.

Next:
Get validation on location. Then prepare for the process to pass theoretical/practical exam.

always learning
LO__, Austria
37 Posts
Sign in to add your message