Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

TB20 F-GDMQ down in Corsica

10 Posts

Corse Matin is reporting a TB20 down yesterday with two fatalities. Hearsay from some locals is that it was out of Ghisonaccia with a low pass over the beach and their wives, but need to wait for proper report.

Condolences to families.

CKN
EGLM (White Waltham)
LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

The BEA report is out. It was the F-GDMQ, based in Bastia. It crashed during a low pass along the beach at about 10 m high. The pilot had 1285hrs and it was not his first low pass apparently.

LFOU, France

Jujupilote wrote:

The BEA report is out.

Unfortunately only in French. I Google-translated the conclusion and it doesn’t provide much info except assumption that it was pilot’s fault in judging the height during low pass.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

There is usually little to learn from BEA report’s conclusions

LFOU, France

Flying too close to the ground is usually a contributory factor in hitting it

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The penultimate sentence of the report is understated but clear nonetheless

Le BEA a publié de nombreux rapports d’accidents dénotant une prise de risque manifeste de la part du pilote.

Which translated in AAIB-speak would be:

If people do stupid things, bad stuff will happen to them.

Last Edited by denopa at 10 Aug 14:27
EGTF, LFTF

The part of the report mentionning 2 photos taken just before impact:
(trad with goo gle)
“On one of the photos, taken two seconds before the impact of the aircraft with the surface of
water, the following flight parameters are seen on the dashboard:
Indicated speed 193 mph, or 167 kt;
Pitching approximately -12 °;
Slight inclination to the right.
The analysis of the photo taken one second before the impact, makes it possible to establish the facts
following:
The aircraft had a pitch and a right bank;
The pilot applied an action in roll to the left and an effort to sting;
The indicator light of the pump operating the landing gear was not lit therefore
he was not in transit;
The height of the smartphone has been estimated at about four meters.
The manufacturer indicates that the observed descent profile (increasing speed,
constant slope, motor at full power) can not be obtained if one takes into account
the additional drag induced by the outgoing train.”

LFMD, France

BEA report

I am not sure why the position of the landing gear is relevant. He was doing a low pass; why have the gear down?

I hope any cockpit videos were done in the correct landscape orientation, rather than the fashionable and irritating portrait one, but I would not be too optimistic

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I think they discuss the landing gear because it was found in the deployed position in the wreckage while the pictures and flight data preclude that.

‘Vol rasant’ btw doesn’t mean ‘rowing’ it means flying at extremely low altitude.

10 Posts
Sign in to add your message