Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Baron PH-CJX down in EDDG

Are you referring to difference training?

Classrating, whatever – he was getting checked out, literally.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Snoopy wrote:

Classrating, whatever – he was getting checked out, literally.

Yes, that’s all we know…a checkout…may already have the class rating (ie mult engine piston)…and in fact may already have had differences training for a G58 for all we know…and as clarified above, a light twin piston does not require a specific type rating.

Aviation necessarily has pedantic nomenclature…sorry.

Last Edited by AnthonyQ at 12 Aug 04:45
YPJT, United Arab Emirates

Sobering for instructors and examiners who do this kind of thing :-(

I gave a student an EFATO about 10 days ago. He was about half way between blue and red lines and I said “airspeed”. He pulled the nose up quite quickly :-( I quickly applied power to the “dead” engine, but it could have gone pear shaped very quickly.

In debrief he said that he had had a complete brain fart about which way the speed ribbon went (despite many hours on glass.).

(As an aside (maybe for another thread) I wonder how much cognitive dissonance there is in the fact that the ribbons look so similar but you push one to make it go up, and pull the other.)

EGKB Biggin Hill

A new thread sounds like a good idea.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Timothy wrote:

In debrief he said that he had had a complete brain fart about which way the speed ribbon went

In his defense, they do go the wrong way Altitude ribbon goes down… when you go up and goes up when you go down. Speed tape goes down when you speed up and up when you speed down.

There is something incredibly intuitive about a needle on a dial…but that’s for another topic also.

I dont entirely follow the logic about tapes and dials. Surely the automatic reaction to “airspeed” is that you are probably too slow and it seems to strange to react by pulling the nose up. After all on one engine it would be very odd to be in an over speed situation unless the nose was obvioulsy point a lot down. i would be a bit more concerned about why anyone would react by pulling the nose up in this situation?

Fuji_Abound wrote:

Surely the automatic reaction to “airspeed” is that you are probably too slow and it seems to strange to react by pulling the nose up

Yes and no. In an EFATO in a twin, there is only one “right” airspeed, Blue Line; you can be too fast or too slow.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Shooting-off at a bit of a tangent, I’ve noticed a number of newly minted CPL ME pilots who brief a forced landing if they have an EAFTO below Blue line. Absolutely no thought of actually trying to achieve Vyse. Hmmmm.

Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

Dave_Phillips wrote:

Shooting-off at a bit of a tangent, I’ve noticed a number of newly minted CPL ME pilots who brief a forced landing if they have an EAFTO below Blue line. Absolutely no thought of actually trying to achieve Vyse. Hmmmm.

All from the same school? It seems odd, as there has been no change of general guidance that I am aware of.

I was having this very discussion after my own recent reval in a PA31, where the examiner pulled power as soon as I started the gear up, well below blue line. I held attitude and let the speed increase slowly, which he was pleased with, compared the alternative of pushing the nose at low altitude, which might have been necessary though risky on a Seminole, Cougar or Apache, but really isn’t in a more capable aircraft.

EGKB Biggin Hill
Sign in to add your message