Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Moving G-reg to EASA-reg (and flying G-reg on EASA papers post-brexit)

@Darkfixer post moved to existing thread on same topic.

No.
No, unless Annex 1 in which case any ICAO PPL is OK with the UK CAA, but you need to check the destination country allows Annex 1. Is there some UK CAA concession on EASA PPL acceptance (for certified aircraft) until Dec 2023?
Yes, with a UK license. So if buying from the UK, get the seller to deliver the plane to the EU shop which has already agreed to do the transfer, and demonstrated competence in the process.

Registry transfers are always a risk, EU to EU, doesn’t matter…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

That would be a third country import with Export CofA, De-registration in UK and new registration acc. EASA with new ARC + new CofA issue erc.. required. Also import VAT if it’s located in the UK.

As for this posing a problem or not is entirely dependent on the particular airplane‘s condition, and I don’t mean an owner or sellers described condition, but actual. It can range from a few emails with forms and an ARC inspection all the way to a never ending nightmare.

I did a G to EASA reg. transfer on an airplane which I previously „vetted“ (especially the documentation) and it was no problem at all. It can go differently though. Someone asked me about buying a G-reg two seater located in EU. Warnings (licensing issue, maintenance, documentation…) weren’t heeded. A shop, after reviewing, quoted 20+k € to change the reg. Another „backyard“ type shop quoted less, however since a year the airplane hasn’t moved. The arc isn’t issued because that shop‘s inspector insists on some paper that can’t be produced anymore.

You cannot fly a G reg with EASA license.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Not just actual condition of the plane but also subtle stuff like STCs incorrectly applied, etc.

Transfers are not worth the risk unless the plane is worth a fair bit, say 150k+.

Too many cases of a plane sitting for a year or more, and with the engine not running…? Not just G to EASA but in any direction, and same with importing from non-G to UK LAA (Annex 1) where the LAA has almost no resources.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Not just actual condition of the plane but also subtle stuff like STCs incorrectly applied, etc.

Hear, hear. Yes, indeed. A very important hint. It took a friend 9 years to get a thought-cheap-deal in the air – which included remanufacturing and certifying repair parts needed to reverse from STCs impossible for an EASA.reg (given his whole situation, the best solution would have been to move to the US anyways, but that is another story).

Germany

Yes, obviously „actual condition“ implies everything, thereby also modifications.

There have been cases where a previous authority may have missed a subtle detail (eg a serial number exclusion for a particular modification) and granted things which a motivated individual at the next authority will catch.

Personally, unless for a particular hard to find airplane, or a new one (<10 yo) I wouldn’t bother, especially not for one of the more common types. The UK market is already showing signs of this „closing off“ process.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Btw, I see a rising tendency in my surrounding to not move the registry of an aircraft, but to move with family to countries where the registry is less of a problem anyways. Definitely not the sole reason to move, but one aspect for private pilots more willing (, open and able) to relocate than others?

Germany

A question out of my curiosity: In the case an EASA PPL owner of a G-Plane cannot fly it legally today,(which is the case If I understood that topic well enough), but which regulation does he violates, the Uk one of the Owner’s country (e.g. France)? Who’s able to ground him?

LFMD, France

Both as I understand the regulations.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

greg_mp wrote:

In the case an EASA PPL owner of a G-Plane cannot fly it legally today,(which is the case If I understood that topic well enough), but which regulation does he violates

The UK regulation, specifically article 136 of the ANO 2016. And also the country of the airspace where he flies, which will typically have a rule like “to fly a foreign registered aircraft, you must have a licence emitted by, or rendered valid by, the country of the registration”.

To convert the EASA PPL into a UK PPL, see https://www.caa.co.uk/general-aviation/pilot-licences/aeroplanes/third-country-licence-conversion-requirements-from-1-january-2023/. This conversion does not “remove” one’s EASA PPL, after conversion one holds both.

Last Edited by lionel at 31 Oct 15:51
ELLX

Post brexit, Brussels rendered UK issued papers invalid for EASA-reg planes, immediately. The UK extended the reciprocal for two years in the hope that some deal will be done but none was, and the 2 years have now expired.

So now to fly a G-reg you need UK papers.

I believe a G-reg Annex 1 plane can be flown on any ICAO PPL.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message