Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Notams are just a pile of garbage

Fully agree with Mooney.
Especially as more and more airlines are reducing dispatchers/capacity and put the burden on the crew in line with ever decreasing preflight check in times.

In the usa the role of the dispatcher is much more integrated into flightplanning and ops and they share quite some responsibility with the pic, contrary to easa land :(.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Emir wrote:

Archie wrote:

What about TAFs and METARs and TTFs ?

Not comparable to Notams. These are short, readable and useful.

Ok, what is PO on a TAF then? And BR? And VC? Is FEW less than SCT or more?

If you can answer these questions correct, without looking it up, I have to admit you are right. If you can’t, well… I reserve the right to be right!

Archie wrote:

At least when flying in Europe, PO is unusual enough that I would not fault anyone who had to look it up. But BR, VC, FEW, SCT? These you should know by heart.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

in Europe, PO is unusual enough

Give Global Warming a couple more years…

EGKB Biggin Hill

Anyone who passed PPL meteorology exam should know this by heart, except maybe PO (depending on your location). I must admit I didn’t know PO until studying for IR meteorology exam. The rest is trivial.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I had to look it up…

PO
Well-Developed Dust/Sand Whirls
French “poussiere” meaning dust

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

alioth wrote:

Thought experiment: EASA shows some leadership in this area and overhauls the NOTAM system so the primary place notams in any EASA country go to is a modern system, designed from the outset to produce machine readable files in a unified format, with a public specification, made freely and openly available on a public REST JSON API that any flight planning system can use, or any website can use, to present NOTAMs however the software is programmed to (in other words, flight planning software for most cases). To comply with international obligations, this system also produces NOTAMs in the “old” format promulgating them in the “old” way as well, by generating the “old” NOTAMs automatically from the new format data.

I think these will be remedied by the Digital NOTAMs which are being developed.

LGMT (Mytilene, Lesvos, Greece), Greece

What would really help is a standard way to specify polygon shapes. Currently there are too many errors. That is what prevents moving map apps from showing area notams correctly. For the popular apps, there is a human there who does this for their principal markets but for further out it doesn’t happen.

Such an implementation would require a website to be created into which the notam creator would enter the data – or some similar system, perhaps a software tool into which you enter it and which generates the stuff in the correct format which would then be injected into the AFTN for distribution as currently one.

Administrator
Administrator

But generally true :)

LDZA LDVA, Croatia
Sign in to add your message