Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Stories of ramp checks (airport enforcement) of airworthiness

From here

What’s an AFMS?

Something that sometimes gets ramp checked when you do an RNP approach in some countries.

We know of people to whom it has happened.

EGKB Biggin Hill

We know of people to whom it has happened.

I wonder where it happened?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
I wonder where it happened?

Switzerland. Where else?

EGKB Biggin Hill

Timothy wrote:

Switzerland. Where else?

The Netherlands? (As aircraft have been grounded there simply for having non-8.33 kHz radios installed.)

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I bet that is not the whole story. To uncover a missing AFMS points to a high degree of intelligence and a very good briefing pack for the airport policeman who did it. As I say, this is not likely to have been some random search.

8.33 is a different thing; much higher profile.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

To uncover a missing AFMS points to a high degree of intelligence and a very good briefing pack for the airport policeman who did it.

Not airport policemen whoever they may be, ramp checks are done by FOCA inspectors and they do know what to look for.

We used to have a nice little sheet of paper which went away with Part NCO which was issued by the FOCA after checking AFMS and the whole installation. It had all the information on it what could be done and what not. Nowadays you really have to look up the AFMS in order to find out.

LSZH, Switzerland

Airborne_Again wrote:

The Netherlands? (As aircraft have been grounded there simply for having non-8.33 kHz radios installed.)

When, where?

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Peter_Mundy wrote:

When, where?

Don’t remember, but there is a post here on EuroGA where a Dutch avionics engineer confirms that this is (or at least was) the Dutch position.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

The last two ramp checks I have had the trappers looked mainly at the illegal public transport aspects as I was attending a very popular motor racing event but my use of class Airspace seemed to be of interest.

I also saw another pilot present the unfortunate trappers with a Russian licence Cyrillic script and all !………… that they had to email to the Gatwick HQ, to their surprise the licence was valid to fly a UK registered aircraft.

No aircraft has been grounded on this basis to my knowledge- there are many Dutch aircraft fitted with second radios which are not 8.33 – loads with old Bendix King nav/comm sets for example.

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands
72 Posts
Sign in to add your message