Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Ramp check stories and reports (all causes)

The “tech log” is not the same as the aircraft airframe, engine and prop logbook(s). The closest equivalent is the journey log, though it also has records of defects and deferred defects. In the UK, it was always required for public transport category aircraft (including rentals), and required to be carried on any non-local flight.

I agree: I would never carry the aircraft log books (tech logs). I do carry a copy of the latest Return To Service document from the last annual and, if appropriate the last 50 hour check / oil change.

If it really came to it: I do have electronic access to scanned copies of the logs.

Last Edited by Jonzarno at 03 Jul 16:02
EGSC

As bookworm says, the tech log is not the actual aircraft logbooks but more akin to a journey logbook as found in other states. I was ramped on a private flight but as the aircraft are normally/often used for public transport flights, the tech log goes with the aircraft. FWIW I think all the CAA guy was interested in was whether I was carrying, (and if so, what?) any defects.

Last Edited by Pirho at 04 Jul 23:45
United Kingdom

whether I was carrying, (and if so, what?) any defects.

That’s a good point. My “journey log” (which I keep at home and use as the source for times for writing up the 3 aircraft logbooks) has a “defects” column. However I doubt many people write much in there because it then forces a detailed entry in the appropriate aircraft logbook(s) but actually there may not be anything to do, or the issue is resolved off the books (changing a spark plug e.g.).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

From here

What’s an AFMS?

Something that sometimes gets ramp checked when you do an RNP approach in some countries.

We know of people to whom it has happened.

EGKB Biggin Hill

We know of people to whom it has happened.

I wonder where it happened?

Administrator
I wonder where it happened?

Switzerland. Where else?

EGKB Biggin Hill

Timothy wrote:

Switzerland. Where else?

The Netherlands? (As aircraft have been grounded there simply for having non-8.33 kHz radios installed.)

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I bet that is not the whole story. To uncover a missing AFMS points to a high degree of intelligence and a very good briefing pack for the airport policeman who did it. As I say, this is not likely to have been some random search.

8.33 is a different thing; much higher profile.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

To uncover a missing AFMS points to a high degree of intelligence and a very good briefing pack for the airport policeman who did it.

Not airport policemen whoever they may be, ramp checks are done by FOCA inspectors and they do know what to look for.

We used to have a nice little sheet of paper which went away with Part NCO which was issued by the FOCA after checking AFMS and the whole installation. It had all the information on it what could be done and what not. Nowadays you really have to look up the AFMS in order to find out.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
Sign in to add your message