Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Heading bug 7 degrees offset in Autopilot mode

Hello,

I have an old Twin Comanche with a Piper Altimatic III with Alt preselect. I had a KI 825 HSI (digital via Airinc429 only) which broke and I send it to Avionic Straubing for repair. Straubing said, only exchange no repair for aprox 13000 USD. I decided to downgrade to KI 525a, because the KI825 is an upgrade almost pin compatible to KI525a. I bought an Ki525a and discovered, that the KI825 was a new installation and not an upgrade from an existing KI525a installation and that a few cable for KI 525 are missing, which I installed (Main port at the IFD540, 15 and 5 Volt and so on). The KI525a runs now fine, the compass, GS and VOR is Ok and works as expected. But the heading bug is around 7 degrees away from the center, when I want to use the autopilot. That means, if I want to fly heading 100 via autopilot, I must turn the heading bug to 107 degrees. The same with the OBS for the VOR/LOC. Now the question, where is the adjustment for the HDG and OBS centering for the autopilot? The 6 potenziometers in the autopilot console aren´t the right one (climb/decend limit, Bank limit only). Below the panel is a KA57 with some adjustments possiblitys But in the manuel is nothing written about “centering” the HDB and OBS bug. If the GS works, I don´t know, but that will be the next step after the first one (HDG center) is OK. Many thanks in advance..

EDFC, Germany

I just saw, that I took the wrong section (Hangar talk versus Avionic) Sorry for that. I will not happen again…

EDFC, Germany

Do you positively know the used KI525a is mechanically sound and ok ?
Have you slaved and de-slaved it ?
Does it turn to a new heading well, but ends up with wrong heading ?
Could be the synchros and the wiring inside the KI 525a, or may be a problem with the remote gyro. Which I assume would be a KG102 ?
I guess Martin Scheifl could tell you what to do :)

Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

Moved. One of my easier jobs here

AFAIK the heading bug from the KI525 is sent out as an analog voltage, positive and negative, with 0V being “straight ahead”. You don’t need much of a ground shift to move the zero point. But the course pointer works differently (X/Y/400Hz). If you set your GPS to OBS mode, it should display the HSI course pointer value then. Does it show the error?

I don’t really know any more than this.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Also, assuming the KI 525a works correctly, here is a copy paste of the KA57 manual from a thread in Beechtalk. Altimatic III and Century III are assumed compatible, I couldn’t find a specific one for the Altimatic III.

Last Edited by EuroFlyer at 17 Feb 15:10
Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

Note, any of those changes should be done in Straubing anyway, as they can simulate LOC and GS signals there on the ground while connecting all the original King analyzer hardware to the plane. Pretty interesting.

Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

I have a feeling that if the OP was content with Straubing Avionics pricing and lead times, he would not be posting here

You can simulate LOC/GS signals with an IFR4000, or some other test set, standing 10m away from the plane, but that isn’t going to exercise the heading bug / course pointer signals.

KA57 MM. Not sure if this is relevant though.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yes Peter, I know Straubing and Mr Eckert and Mr Scheifle. I also know the pricing and timetable of Avionik Straubing (I don’t have so much money anymore and want the save a little and, by the way, it id interesting to understand “GA high tech”. I build myself 30 years ago a car telefon with self build 144 mhz and 27 mhz transmitter and receiver, so I am not unfamiliar with electronics and I am pretty sure, that there’s a Poti where I can center the heading bug (max be hidden in the KI525). May be the gain poti in the KA57 could that be, but for my understanding it is more for left right margin than center. But I will try it (it is below the panel with very short cables 😒😒😒). You said, the Heading bug is 0 volt in the center. The broken KI 825 worked fine, may be the KI 525 must be checked, may be it is a little out of limit. I will report…

EDFC, Germany

One question about the Glide Slope Coupler Mitchell 1C493. Does anyone has a pinout of the coupler? I am just curious….

EDFC, Germany

Here’s the glideslope coupler drawing with interface harness:

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.
11 Posts
Sign in to add your message