Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Headsets (merged)

Rebuild my old 1993 H10-60 DC’s with a headsetinc ANR kit four years ago and still works very well.

Last Edited by Vref at 18 Jun 19:58
EBST

Hello

as Jasons Headsets are gone I would like to look for a alternative ANR Headset with a good price/performace relation

so please let me know ur experiance and maybe any hints where to buy

thanks

fly2000

Not ANR but just as good as my dad’s old ANR Sennheisers: give these babies a try Clarity Aloft. I think they are expensive, I thought they were too expensive when just opened the box, as they look rather flimsy, but they do a great job and I am glad to be rid of those earwarmers, especialy when wearing (sun)glases. Not sure if I’d buy the bluetooth model again tho, I do not use the phone or listen to music that much anyway when I’m up flying.

David-Clark anyone?

Last Edited by Bobo at 15 Sep 09:39
EHTE, Netherlands

I swear by my Lightspeed Zulu 2, having also owned the Zulu 1 but there is one major caveat I always give – try them out. I went to a dealers looking to buy a Sennheiser S1 but neither they nor the Bose seemed to “sit right” on my head – I’ve heard others say the same for Lightspeed so it really is “horses for courses”…..

EDL*, Germany

I owned two of the early LightSpeed headsets; the 20K and the 3G. I recently could not resist upgrading to the Bose A20 w/BT, and soon I hope a second A20

The LightSpeeds have been very good value for money and served me well for a number of years. As long as the ANR works, the noise reduction of those two headsets is very good, but the passive noise reduction leaves a lot to be desired. The build quality – all plastic – was not really satisfactory either, and even more annoying is the fact that the ear cushions are foam coated with some sort of plastic film which ends up drying out and peeling off leaving small black particles everywhere.

These LightSpeed models are now a thing of the past. The newer Zulu headsets look like they are built much stronger (stainless steel and magnesium) and the ear cushions do not have the plastic coating. I am sure that they have made great progress with the ANR circuitry. LightSpeed headsets are no longer the “affordable alternative” to Bose as the prices of the Zulu.2 and PFX headsets are way up there with the Bose A20 with or without Bluetooth.

When paying that kind of money for a headset they better last a while, and there should be a good supply of spare parts (accessories like ear cushions, mic sock etc), service and/or upgrade program. Both LightSpeed and Bose seem to fit that bill.

You may want read this review. The only reason why the Zulu.2 headset is 3rd and not 2nd is price. Unfortunately the Zulu PFX is not part of the test.

As Steve6643 wrote, it is very important to try the headset on before buying it to make sure that it is comfortable in practical use. Whether it fits may depend on you ear and head shape, whether you wear glasses/spectacles etc. For some people ear cushions in gel may be a must. My wife gets a headache from wearing some headsets over time. At least with Bose you can try the headset for 30 days and return it if you are not satisfied. LightSpeed may have the same.

I have been flying with ANR headsets for so long that I hardly remember what it is like to fly with passive headsets like the DavidClark. I guess that the passive headsets are generally heavier than the ANR in order to achieve an acceptable level of noise reduction. It would be interesting to do the comparison.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 15 Sep 18:03
LFPT, LFPN

Similar to the Clarity Aloft, I’ve been using the QT Halo for the last 5 years. Much better sound insulation than my old Bose X, which has been relegated to passenger use.

Several other advantages like comfort, light weight, easier to wear a cannula and no batteries to replace. They are especially good in a very loud cockpit where conventional ANR can be overpowered.

KHWD- Hayward California; EGTN Enstone Oxfordshire, United States

I’ve just ordered one of these :

http://www.nanocommga.com/index.htm

I’ll report further when they arrive.

Spending too long online
EGTF Fairoaks, EGLL Heathrow, United Kingdom

I dislike David Clark and DC-like headsets for the force they clamp my head with, so I tried several other headsets. Sennheisers seemed too large, Bose were too narrow and kept folding the back of my ears. Flightcom Denali felt truly ideal, so I bought them.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

hello chris
interesting option looks light and no clamping force look foreward to hear ur opinion

fly2000

It looks like nanocommga are like phonak, but much cheaper.
These custom made ear inserts are really good, I haven’t replaced the battery in my phonak for some time as ANR is not really needed.

United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message