Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Hello everybody (US experimental in Europe)

So we’ll wait to see how yesombre does with Croatia

Austria would get you to the Alps.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 22 Jul 20:43

There are certain airspaces which have no known regulation on this topic. Whether it is a coincidence that nearly all of the (very few) Eurocontrol IFR flights take place there, I have no idea.

Apart from that, in Europe you don’t get decent airspace access as VFR. This, not flying in IMC, is the major driver of the IR here.

Then you have the permit matrix. There is little enforcement of it but one never quite knows whether one would be insured on an illegal flight…

I would have probably moved to a homebuilt type a long time ago otherwise (not built one though).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

achimha wrote:

It is something “special” because the ECAC regulations say that experimentals can only be operated under VFR

ECAC certainly do not. This is what ECAC say:

The Conference recommends that Member States accept home-built aircraft with a certificate of airworthiness or a “permit to fly” issued by another Member State, to fly in their country without any restrictions other than those stated in the certificate of airworthiness or "permit to fly

In Norway there is no other requirements for IFR than to have the required instruments and avionics according to the requirements of the airspace. It’s the same if it is a certified aircraft, or a homebuilt. Microlights are VFR only though (and they could also technically be homebuilts), but they are run under a different regime, outside of direct administration by the CAA.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

While looking at the gear up Seneca, I bumped into a guy with his brand newly built 210 HP RV-8. Helped him with a PC, so he could file his IFR flight plan back (Kjeller or Gardermoen, not sure)

Funny thing. According to regulations, two altimeters are needed for IFR. However, the regulations do not say where they are to be placed. He will place the other in the back seat (he hasn’t mounted it yet though). Really nice looking plane, still not finished with the trimming of the paint job. He used 15 years building it (same wife he emphasized )

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

After one month a small update:

Today i got the flight permission for Austria. Weather permitting the trip will begin Sunday. So got it basically last minute.
In the end it was more complex, than getting the permit for Germany.
The responsible person there was very nice, but it still took some mailing, phone calls and about one month.

In the end they needed:
- Special Airworthiness Certificate
- Experimental Operating Limitations
- Registration
- Operating Agreement between trust and our syndicate
- Contract between founders of our syndicate
- Radio Station License
- Insurance
- Annual Inspection Logbook Entry
- Certificate of the mechanic of the annual
- ELT registration
- Noise certificate
- Pictures of the cockpit to verify instrumentation

Noise certificate was one of the problems.
I now have one according to AC 91-86 which was accepted.

Cost: 135,60€

Concerning Slovenia:
AIP Slovenia: 1.4 No authorization is required for flights in transit non-stop across the territory of the Republic of Slovenia and for technical landings.
As i will not land in Slovenia, no problem.

Croatia it gets more complex:
AIP Croatia:

GEN 1.2.1.2 Flight of sport and recreational aircraft in Croatian Airspace

Definition of sport and recreational aircraft: airplane, gyroplane or helicopter which is non-complex aircraft, but it is:
amateur built aircraft with maximum take-off mass 1000 KG,

when Regulation (EC) No. 216/2008 of the European Parliament is not applied to them.

Flying of sport and recreational aircraft is limited to VFR day only.

And:

GEN 1.2.1.2.3 Additional requirements for flight of foreign sport and recreational aircraft in Croatian Airspace

Foreign sport and recreational aircraft can be flown in Croatian airspace only on the basis of an authorization for flight and submitted flight plan when crossing the Croatian border.

It is considered that foreign sport and recreational aircraft is authorized to fly in the Croatian airspace if the following conditions are met:

The aircraft has a valid certificate of airworthiness in accordance with the regulations of the country of registration of the aircraft,
The aircraft must be insured in accordance with the EU regulation governing mandatory insurance for the aircraft, and
The aircraft is not allowed to be used for operations for which remuneration is received, except in the case of participation in flying displays or competitions.

As there is nowhere EU/ECAC mentioned, it should be ok.

The european, certified owners may now stop laughing, how much is involved in crossing some borders.
Wish me luck, that everything works out (especially the weather).

Greets,
yesombre

EDGH

That is really interesting – many thanks for the update.

It is especially interesting because we had discussions on EuroGA in years past about, shall we say, certain non-EC homebuilts flying in, shall we say, certain airspaces all the time, and a dig around suggested that, shall we say, certain countries simply didn’t have any regs in that area.

And you have just found a contrary example…

Sooo, the answer, of course, must be that nobody enforces it, so provided there is no accident with 3rd party damage (raising the insurance angle), nobody will likely care.

Nobody is laughing at you Usually the people who are laughing are the homebuilders, when somebody posts about a $10,000 item which you can buy uncertified for $500.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

“Germany grants you an IFR privilege on N-reg experimentals. I am quite sure this was never intended…”

That was exactly my impression since ECAC-registrated do not get this privilege- odd enought. But I also have the feeling, that aviation related regulation doesn’t always make sense

EDLE

europaxs wrote:

“Germany grants you an IFR privilege on N-reg experimentals. I am quite sure this was never intended…”

That was exactly my impression since ECAC-registrated do not get this privilege- odd enought. But I also have the feeling, that aviation related regulation doesn’t always make sense

Actually for Austria it seems to be the same.
The permit for Austria states:
“Operation of the aircraft hast to be according to the rules of the Special Airworthiness Certificate.” (~ translated from German)
And my Special Airworthiness Certificate:
“After completion of Phase 1 flight testing , unless appropriately equipped for night and or instrument flight in accordance 91.205, this aircraft is to be operated under day VFR only”

EDGH

Back from the trip to Croatia. Everything worked out actually quite flawless.
Weather was almost perfect. The plane performed without problems.

Here is short summary of the legs.

Saturday
EDGH (Wuerzburg, Germany) → EDMS (Straubing) 1:06
There i picked up a friend. He is no pilot, but was an incredible help anyway.
Handing me the right charts, tracking our position on a tablet, pointing at other planes and keeping the spirit up on long legs.

Sunday
EDMS → LOAN (Wiener Neustadt East) 1:26
Mogas and a good restaurant at the field. Landing fee was 12€.

Monday
LOAN → LDZD (Zadar) 2:32
Planned was actually Mali Losinj, but Metar said 20G40KT which seemed to be no good idea.
Coming over the mountain range out to the sea in the area of Mali Losinj we got some quite heavy turbulence.
So Zadar was the right decision, i think.
Landing and Handling fee was 20,38€.
We were asked if this was training flight – i responded “every flight is a training flight”. The handling agent laughed and gave 75% discount on handling.

LDZD → LDSB (Brac) 0:46
We were a little late on the departure to Brac. On Mondays the Airfield in Brac closes at 16:00 local.
We ended up landing at 16:01 – ATC informed us, that the ground crew will wait for us.
The tower was not in operation anymore, so we just transmitted our intentions and positions blind.
We stayed for 2 days in Brac visiting a friend, who was there with his camper van.
Two days parking, landing and handling: 27,50€ (AOPA discount)

Wednesday
LDSB → LDDU (Dubrovnik) 0:56
Got a nice parking spot next to Mr. Al-Waleeds private 747.
Bus to the city is quite cheap and about half a hour drive.
The city is beautiful, but expensive and full of tourists.
Still definitely worth a visit.
One day parking, handling and landing: 37,13€ (forgot to mention AOPA)

Thursday
LDDU → LDVA (Varazdin) 3:12
We looked for a stopover in the north of Croatia. Zagrep seemed to be an option,
but i read somewhere about prices around 100€ for handling and landing.
Varazdin is a small airfield, operated by Diamond Aircraft. Looks a bit run-down.
It will get a complete makeover in the near future and a quite big flight school (6 Diamond planes).
They have Mogas and landing was about 10€.
Passport control was 25€ and a policeman actually came and checked our passports, in contrast to LOAN.

In comparison to everything at the coast Varazdin is quite cheap. 3€ for a taxi to the center.
Lucky as we are, in Varazdin was Spancirfest – a huge festival with live music, wine tasting, …

Friday

LDVA → LOAN (Wiener Neustadt East) 1:12
Lunch stop on the way back.

LOAN → EDML (Landshut, Germany) 2:01
Dropped my friend of and continued alone.

EDML → EDMS (Straubing) 0:21
Visited family there.

Staurday

EDMS → EDGH (Wurzburg) 1:17
Back to my homebase.

All in all a wonderful trip. Highly recommended
The preparation, radio communication, flight plans, big airports, …
I feel i learned more in this 15 hours, than i would in 50 hours flying around locally.

With not even 100 hours in my logbook (including training) some people had quite some concerns regarding this trip.
Do you have thoughts on that? I don’t really see, why one should fly the first 100h only around the local church tower.

Greets,
yesombre

Last Edited by yesombre at 27 Aug 13:50
EDGH

Yes, FANTASTIC!
Great report too. :)

Making sound decisions is a key fundamental to safe flying.
The fact that you diverted due to windy (gusty) conditions bodes well…

The million little things you learn by expanding your limits broadens your horizon, makes you more confident (healthy) and willing to learn even more.

Complacency kills a lot of older, more experienced pilots. A safe pilot is one well prepared for the unexpected and sound in avoiding danger, when possible.

I’m excited by your adventure! (in case it wasn’t obvious) and look forward to your writeups in the future.

Sign in to add your message