Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Hello from California and N-reg maintenance in Toulouse

Yes, I have documentation already and I talked with the french custom officer based in Miami about the exact steps & what to expect.

At many French customs airfields, (Biarritz, Dinard, Deauville, etc) the first landing in France with an N registered aircraft, without the correct paperwork, they would have a field day, the aircraft would likely be impounded immediately until all the duties are paid,

Surely that is true only if somebody on board has an EU passport. Then everything changes.

There are some past threads on this exact topic. Visitors to the EU who hold EU passports have to really careful and have evidence of import VAT paid. The others have something like 6 months (??) before they are effectively importing.

maybe being a French citizen (?) he could talk his way out of it?

He/she could certainly lubricate things… that’s how it generally works in southern Europe But it won’t help the final outcome IMHO. Well, might depend on the legs

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

quatrelle wrote:

At many French customs airfields, (Biarritz, Dinard, Deauville, etc) the first landing in France with an N registered aircraft, without the correct paperwork, they would have a field day, the aircraft would likely be impounded immediately until all the duties are paid, maybe being a French citizen (?) he could talk his way out of it?
So US bizjets can’t fly to France, then?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I was just looking for a nice European forum to hang out and discuss destinations in Europe, not to start a ranting about taxes & fuel costs :)

What is the first “wow” trip that one should take within 400nm of Toulouse?

Last Edited by wleferrand at 08 Jun 19:07

So US bizjets can’t fly to France, then?

That’s silly…

Assuming the aircraft is not previously known to Customs, there are at least two angles there of relevance

• probably no EU passport holders on board
  • on a flight costing c. 10k+ one-way, it will be organised properly in advance, handlers will say “how high do you want me to jump, SIR?” and all docs will be sorted with destination Customs in advance

There are even arrangements possible, for 3+ figures I guess, for Customs/Immigration to turn up at a non-C/I airfield – in France. I have seen such bizjet flights; spoke to the pilot. Unofficial.

In light GA this doesn’t happen because we try to avoid handlers so there is nobody to help you. You land and Customs see an aircraft which they know nothing about.

Lots – you have the Alps not far. A lot of great scenery, and some nice destinations e.g. Zell am See LOWZ…

Administrator

Avgas is currently less than 2 € in France, so not that bad. France is not Italy or Greece. Euro control fees only apply to IFR over 2 metric tons

Last Edited by Aviathor at 08 Jun 20:26
LFPT, LFPN

Sometimes people on here make Europe sound like Nazi Germany. Seriously chill out a bit. It is nowhere near as bad as is sometimes made out here.

EGTK Oxford

400 miles from Toulouse? I’d fly to Albenga in Italy! a very relaxed, uncomplicated place with Avgas, and a beautiful flight along the Cote d’Azur.

wleferrand wrote:

Le Touquet LFAT to meet up with Peter, myself and yet others for lunch!

LFPT, LFPN

From here a 400nm radius of Toulouse is quite a lot

and as you can see it includes places where you can both eat and be eaten

Administrator
Sign in to add your message