Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Hello from California and N-reg maintenance in Toulouse

I would go to Venezia, there is a small but very nice airport at the island called Lido di Venezia, LIPV – http://www.aeroportonicelli.it/en/laeroporto/. Just a fifteen minutes by boat to Venezia. I stayed there a week one and half year ago with my family and they say it was one of the best trips we ever made.

LKHK, Czech Republic

Welcome back to France…

There’s tons to do in the region, even shorter flights can be very scenic; Montpellier and Nimes are beautiful cities and the approach on the salt marshes of Camargue is stunning; further west you have Le Castelet and Cuers which are great for the Var region, and St Tropez (needs special license) and Cannes (needs special noise abatement training, online) for the Cote d’Azur.

Going north, L’Ile de Re (via La Rochelle) and L’ile d’Yeu, Alderney; even closer, Saumur for the Loire Valley.

I find flying in Spain somewhat difficult, lots of paperwork and extensive AVGAS.

EGTF, LFTF

Thanks everyone for all the nice destinations ideas. I’m looking forward to meet some of you on the apron :)

@denopa thanks to your note about St Tropez I just discovered that some airports require specific training! I’m wondering if I can get the “qualification montagne” with a FAA licence, or if I can convert my licence, get the qualification montagne and then fly a N-reg to that airport .. I guess that we’ll start with easy flights initially anyways.

Oh. I realise we haven’t addressed the elephant in the room yet: given that you will be resident in the EU, you MUST convert your license. And you will need to maintain both.

You don’t need the mountain license for St Tropez or Courchevel, site-specific permits are enough, and you won’t be able to use the mountain rating much with your plane I would think.

Last Edited by denopa at 10 Jun 08:32
EGTF, LFTF

I went through https://www.euroga.org/forums/hangar-talk/2860-easa-fcl-anti-n-reg-provisions-derogation-thread-and-uk-caa-not-allowing-faa-class-3-medical?page=1

The topic is a bit confusing but it looks like flying a nreg on a faa licence will be ok until 2019 at least. I don’t make plans that far in the future anyways.

Worst case I can turn my licence into a PPL by taking a written and a checkride; I guess that’s a good opportunity to get a little refresher on the basics.

Indeed I’m not planning to do extreme backcountry flying in the aztec – even if it handles short runways & gravel just fine :)

You will be in a great location…
- take a short hop over the Pyrenees to Pamplona and have lunch in the Hemmingway Café (see bronze statue at the bar!)
- or a short run down to San Sebastian (stunning approach over the bay) for some Basque flavours
- when you head to the Med, don’t let the online training requirement (trivial) for Cannes put you off – it’s a GA airport with smart terminal, self service fuel, car hire etc. Hop on a bus into town for an infinite choice of restaurants. And some great destinations in Corsica are not far away…

NeilC
EGPT, LMML

And the approach into Cannes (over a bay again) is also stunning. Just make sure you familiarise yourself with the VRPs, even if IFR.

NeilC
EGPT, LMML

denopa wrote:

I find flying in Spain somewhat difficult, lots of paperwork and extensive AVGAS

Expensive AVGAS, yes. But, lots of paperwork?
I could list some other nuisances flying in Spain (e.g. opening time of some airports, handling fees…), but would never have said that one of them is the paperwork.

LECU - Madrid, Spain

Good morning,

I’m having trouble getting insurance in Europe .. my broker here thought that he could figure out a policy, but it seems that American underwriters aren’t interested in quoting European coverage after all.

Would anyone have a GA-friendly European broker to recommend?

Thanks!
william

Try calling mine:
Insurance is HDL, my agent is
Mr. Max Baumgartner, in Munich,
[email protected]
phone: Tel.: +49-89-2107-420

Sign in to add your message