Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Helmets in light aircraft

I fly with an RAF Mk4 helmet in the Grob 115 Tutor, and have an Alpha equivalent for aerobatics and spinning. Don’t wear one in other ‘normal’ types and twins etc.. A few thoughts in no particular order:

- A badly fitting / not regularly serviced helmet can be just as dangerous as not flying with one at all.
- Many cockpits aren’t designed for them space / canopy wise and there isn’t the appropriate clearance.
- If you wear and plan to use a parachute, head protection is also pretty important.
- Visors need to be looked after otherwise they can also be a distraction / hazard.
- The security of a helmet vs glasses / headset during Aeros is really good

Ps RAF military transport crews wear helmets during tactical sorties I.e low level, air drop, strip landings etc

Now retired from forums best wishes

The Super Cub family, especially without the overhead cross brace that was introduced in later models, has a risk of the steel structure bending down towards you due to a wing being dragged in an aggravated ground loop or cartwheel. Hence the STOL/off airport fraternity do tend to use helmets, usually form the mountain SAR style.

https://www.teamwendy.com/products/helmets-accessories/helmets/exfil-sar-backcountry

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

I suspect the average spamcan is going to give very limited protection in case of an accident so there’d be a good argument for wearing a helmet in a PA28 or C152, but in more recent designs with airbags and properly designed passenger compartments I think it would be reasonable to do without

Somewhat counterintuitively, the C1xx models offer outstandingly good protection to the occupants when crashed with due care and attention (i.e. in accordance with FAA guidance). With proper technique in these aeroplanes, their 9g certification standard translates into a deceleration distance of about 2 metres horizontal and 15 cm vertical. It is only when out of control, or when splatted into terrain unnecessarily fast, that the 9g limit is likely to be exceeded.

So I agree with Jason that if one has the $2.5k cost of a decent helmet to spare, it is more profitable to spend it building a couple of hundred hours of experience above and below the lower boundary of the flight envelope.

On the other hand, whenever we cross the English Channel VFR and are therefore planning (if need be) to ditch in the sea, it is customary to wear a life jacket. Similarly, whenever we are planning to crash on land it seems sensible to dress for the occasion – including at least a light cap.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message