Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

HETA 18k ft

Peter wrote:

Yes, but… what is a VOR radial?

Surely some of the 100 aircraft owners would have had an IR?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Yes, but… what is a VOR radial?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

For example I know a guy who installed ~ 100 GNS430 boxes without ever connecting the HSI’s course pointer back to the GPS. He got away with it because none of the people were using much of the system’s capabilities.

Wouldn’t that even break the VOR function of the GNS430? I mean, you set the VOR radial using the course pointer.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 06 Jan 08:15

I just reread the Bendix/King KAP140 manual and it actually states that the ALT mode maintains “pressure altitude”

All the autopilots which work off a pressure encoder (a standalone encoder, or an encoding altimeter) will fly pressure altitude – because that is what it is getting from the encoder.

However some will also be reading the altimeter subscale. The King ones I have seen (KFC225 included) get an analog voltage from a multiturn potentiometer which is behind the subscale knob (as I wrote earlier). The autopilot then adjusts the encoder value for this difference away from 1013 and maintains that.

One would need to look at the wiring diagram for the actual aircraft. It is also possible, especially on a retrofit job, that the altimeter pot connection has not been wired up… That sort of thing happens a lot in retrofits. For example I know a guy who installed ~ 100 GNS430 boxes without ever connecting the HSI’s course pointer back to the GPS. He got away with it because none of the people were using much of the system’s capabilities.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

huv wrote:

It doesn’t.

Now we have two people claiming opposites for the KAP140.

I just reread the Bendix/King KAP140 manual and it actually states that the ALT mode maintains “pressure altitude”. This suggests that changing the BARO setting will not cause the aircraft to climb or descend to maintain indicated altitude. But I’ll check next time I fly.

But you can use the trick Bosco mentions. Push the Up or Down button. For each push, altitude will change by 20 ft while staying in ALT hold mode. It works on many autopilots.

That I knew – because it is mentioned in both the POH and autopilot manuals.

Airborne_Again wrote:

Airborne_Again
02-Jan-16 12:50
Peter wrote:
Are there any autopilots which have ALT mode and which don’t do that?
I wasn’t aware that the KAP140 did that. The documentation doesn’t mention it. I’ll have to try in the air sometime

It doesn’t. But you can use the trick Bosco mentions. Push the Up or Down button. For each push, altitude will change by 20 ft while staying in ALT hold mode. It works on many autopilots.

Last Edited by huv at 05 Jan 10:52
huv
EKRK, Denmark

My S-Tec doesn’t do this. It has its own pressure sensor.

United Kingdom

loco wrote:

I fly with KAP140 and confirm that it climbs/descends, as pressure is adjusted on the autopilot panel.

I fly with KAP140 too. I’ll have to try this sometimes. When you cruise on flight levels most of the time, you don’t get to see these nice details of how your autopilot works.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 04 Jan 09:45

Airborne_Again wrote:

Yes, I know all that. What I am not convinced of is that it will actually climb or descent when you change the pressure setting. Have you actually tried it?

I fly with KAP140 and confirm that it climbs/descends, as pressure is adjusted on the autopilot panel.

Last Edited by loco at 04 Jan 08:58
LPFR, Poland

pmh wrote:

On the KAP140 you set the pressure on start up directly on the unit. This is to make sure the altitude preselect correspond with the actual altitude.
If you in ALT hold mode change the pressure setting the Autopilot will climb or decend accordingly.
The altitude encoder is only measuring standard altitude.

Yes, I know all that. What I am not convinced of is that it will actually climb or descent when you change the pressure setting. Have you actually tried it?

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 04 Jan 07:25
46 Posts
Sign in to add your message