Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Hiking fly-in: Spain 2018, LECD etc

One could fly there via e.g. Tarbes LFBT and arrive with nearly full tanks, with plenty of options for a return flight.

Clever to use the first letter of the Spanish words for summer and winter in the English part of the AIP

If you think that is an issue, try doing a fly-in to an airport where they have only ~200 litres left (because they forgot to order it despite having been told about the fly-in weeks in advance) and then they “discover” the pump meter has broken so they fill up a large number of measuring buckets

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

You are right Peter, LECD is at 3000ft+ so I wouldn’t recommend departing with full fuel.
LESU is lower with the same runway length.
@all : please check your aircraft performance at 3000ft with a potentially high temperature. And take a margin !

We don’t need to choose between the two right now. We could first agree on this area and a rough period of time. Then we’ll contact both fields. People will be free to land at the one they prefer anyway.

LFOU, France

@Jujupilote For us both locations will be fine. For us the 28. April to the first of May is looking good at the moment, maybe the 10.-13. May. First date would be better. But anyway it is a while until April/May, so things might change.In summer we will be free from the 28th of July also.

EDDS , Germany

FWIW, there is normally a EuroGA fly-in somewhere in early May.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

After about 10 minutes, I guess it might look like this:

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

After discussing with Peter, we chose the first weekend of May as the timeframe of this fly-in.
I should be off work from May 1 to May 8.

@Patrick, @wleferrand, @Aviathor, @LFHNflightstudent, @dublinpilot, @terbang, @eddsPeter : please tell us what your plan would be

Last Edited by Jujupilote at 11 Nov 17:43
LFOU, France

I’ve a hard time planning for what I’ll be doing next week, but if the plane is up and running we will join you whenever/wherever you go!

@Jujupilote with this timeframe we might join on the 4th if may and stay until the 6th. And as mentioned before from the 28th of April to the 1st of May will also be possible.

EDDS , Germany

AFAIK no fuel in LECD. The locals go to LESU, really nearby. That pump on Peter’s picture does not work i believe.

You can easily fill up to MTOM at LESU, even though it is high, and even when it’s hot. Don’t worry, if your craft does not lift, just keep going and you’ll be airborne anyway.
Just kidding of course. But, to be frank, every time I went there I could not resist the temptation of keeping her close to the ground after take-off and then suddenly be at a nice altitude.

It’s a long runway, and a very interesting approach and landing. Like approaching an aircraft carrier. Make sure you focus on the runway and not on the surroundings. Westerly winds may spoil the fun a bit as you would be landing really close to that hill on the right side, giving some bumps just before touching down.

A general warning about flying in the Pyrenees, other than the usual mountain-related risks, are massive birds. Keep your speed in check and your (and your RHS occupant) eyes fully open and pointed outside.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Thank you aart ! Looks like Mesa, AZ in Europe !
I think I will refuel at Sabadell (spending a night there maybe), or even in France. I don’t want to be heavy taking off LECD.

I will prepare some emails to send to LECD and LESU (translated with Google) and wait for their reaction.

LFOU, France
Sign in to add your message