Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Hiking fly-in: Spain 2018, LECD etc

For those interested in seeing LECD in details :

The apron seems large enough for a reasonable meet up.
This says they have AVGAS but it must be incorrect.

LFOU, France

Jujupilote wrote:

This says they have AVGAS but it must be incorrect
Why must it be incorrect?

ESMK, Sweden

Because aart said there wasn’t.

LFOU, France

Jujupilote wrote:

Because aart said there wasn’t.
The website and SkyDemon PIREP of 5m ago say there is.
I guess we won’t solve this one other than with a phone call.

ESMK, Sweden

If they are operating under the aeroclub charitable organisation tax scheme (or whatever it is called) you won’t get a confirmation easily, because you could be anybody. It’s the same in Italy – I had a complete farce there recently, at an airport whose name I won’t post right here. Got avgas easily – after (nearly) all written comms with everybody said firmly “no avgas”.

This “sham charity” thing is a widespread issue in southern Europe (notably Spain, France, Italy) which has been around for years and it won’t go away anytime soon. But all the time it is available, aeroclubs will obviously take advantage of it even though it screws visitors, especially foreigners who cannot easily make the “discreet enquiries” required. One solution is for them to pretend to be filling one of their planes, and you pay them in cash. Obviously this won’t be offered to just anybody who phones up…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yes I need to call them. Hope they speak French or English.

LFOU, France

There is AVGAS in LECD. I’ve refueled there many times. The pump is located where Peter marked in a photo in a previous post.
The town of Alp can be reached by a 15-20 minutes walk. The hotel mentioned by Aart, Ca L’Eudald, is well known among the airfield users. Alp is small and quiet, but there are two or three more hotels. I can recommend also Hotel Roca. In a 10-15 km radius there are a lot more hotels.

Between LESU and LECD I would choose LECD, except if you want to go to Andorra, which is clearly nearer from LESU.
Cannot give any recommendation regarding hiking options.

LECU - Madrid, Spain

I apologize for giving false info then. It’s just that I asked twice when there, and it was a no.. I did ask for JetA though, like it said on one of the pumps, so maybe Avgas is actually available?

Last Edited by aart at 24 Nov 16:30
Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Just called them. Avgas is available, current all-in price € 2.40/litre.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Thank you aart.

This map is not very good but well…

GR11 which goes all along the Pyrenees (840km) and GR 150 which makes a 150km loop both come very close to LECD.
I would suggest to walk part of GR150, in particular the section in yellow below which is only 44km long :

There seem to be several refuges around. We could hire a van to bring us back to Alp/LECD

LFOU, France
Sign in to add your message