Banner
Welcome to our forums

HNWI (high net worth individuals) accidents

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
always learning
LO__, Austria

There is no (aviation-specific) liability limit in GA accidents.

FWIW I am also not sure there is any longer a liability limit in airline accidents. It used to be a specific (and quite low) value. As usual, the internet has it all and that article is quite interesting. In a related angle, in the UK there is no passenger liability (ref: Civil Aviation Act) unless the pilot is found negligent, so you find various examples where the victim(s)’ families push hard for a finding of negligence; this one dragged on for years.

Can you really be awarded damages based on somebody’s projected royalty income? It would make transporting many VIPs uninsurable.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The net present value of uncertain royalty income in 70 years’ time will be very low, if not zero.

Biggin Hill

lionel wrote:

It starts the counter for when the royalties will stop (70 years after death? Something like that?). So, if they die 20 years earlier, that’s 20 years of royalty income lost.

I don’t know of any legal system that calculates damages based on a more than 70 year income projection…

Germany

True

always learning
LO__, Austria

Snoopy wrote:

Im going for operational and human factors aspects

The co-pilot who flies with Kim Jong in IL62 has lot to say about your topic Snoopy

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

The court wouldn’t mandate that you should have had higher insurance. E.g. your insurance coverage is 3 millions. The court sentences you to pay 5 millions, that is the court finds that you are responsible of having caused damages worth 6 millions. Your insurance pays out 3 millions, and you are liable to pay 2 millions, out of your assets, and if those don’t suffice out of all your future earnings beyond the legal survival minimum in your jurisdiction.

Aren’t damages in air accidents limited by a maximum amount of SDRs? Probably only applies to commercial flying? Anyway one can be protected from such claims when flying privately?

always learning
LO__, Austria

Thank you for the continued input.

I think this is a strange and slightly macabre thread.

I would say it has more to do with the modern obsession with “Celebrities”;

Sorry that you see it that way. Nothing to do with that. Couldn’t care less about it. This is an aviation forum not TMZ. Im going for operational and human factors aspects.

It has partly to do with the myth that „flying is the safest transport option“, which, when thrown around a as a blanket statement, is not true.

By the way, I think this „obsession“ was way back in the 90‘s and 00‘s with „streisand effect“ etc.. Nowadays everybody is famous on Instagram. Nobody dies on Instagram, it’s all bling bling success and awesomeness there.

Last Edited by Snoopy at 31 Jan 22:27
always learning
LO__, Austria
45 Posts
Sign in to add your message