Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Holiday report: Easter trip from Germany to Croatia

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Not at all, flying in most of the EU-countries is allowed as UL (except Romania I think).

EDSO, Germany

Great report, thanks.
Did you have to get any permits for flying to Slovenia/Croatia in an UL?

always learning
LO__, Austria

boscomantico, that’s exactly what happened! I took off in EDSO without stickers and ended up in Portoroz WITH the stickers… otherwise they would have refused refueling my plane. I had to buy two of them for one Euro each…

EDSO, Germany

Nice Report Tobias! I did a similar trip last year (but from Munich) and I have been longing to do it again! Next time extend it to Zadar if you can, they have a quite little old town! Unfortunately I don’t know when I’ll get a chance to do it again, now I am in a club in Cannes Mandelieu where the planes are always booked, taking one for a couple days seems very hard to do :( If anyone one has tips of someone wanting to rent out their private plane down there I am all ears!

LFMD, Monaco

Great trip in a ultralight ! You were flexible and that’s great for VFR touring. Thanks for your report, it will help others expand their wings :)

The feeling of achievement and pride after a long VFR trip like this is just unique.

LFOU, France

I have been given those stickers at various places, as a condition of being sold avgas. I think the last place was LGIO in Greece. The wing was so hot they barely stuck and I peeled them off as soon as the guy drove off. I had emptied his entire bowser anyway

Nice report TobiasM and thank you for posting it. It is always nice to do an “early” trip over the Alps because there is still plenty of snow on them. In fact some ski places were open in late April.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

boscomantico wrote:

Probably because some BP muppet at some airport insisted on sticking it on before giving him fuel…

Off topic but true story: Tried to refuel a PA28 with AVGAS UL91 at Ängelholm ESTA (the only AVGAS type available there). BP’s self-service station refused to accept my BP AVGAS carnet with a cryptic message. I had to call ground staff for help. They explained that since the fuel was UL91 and not AVGAS, the AVGAS carnet wouldn’t work. I argued that UL91 was certainly AVGAS, but of course arguing with staff didn’t help as far as the machine was concerned. So then I asked to pay “manually” with a regular credit card. The staff asked if my aircraft could use UL91 and I said yes. They were very worried repeating the question several times, saying that they could not be held responsible for engine failures etc. In the end they handed me two UL91 placards which I had to stick to the aircraft before I was allowed to refuel.

(The aircraft was placarded from the start with AVGAS 100LL and Hjelmco 91/96UL. I know that Hjelmco 91/96UL and UL91 are not the same thing, but I also knew that the engine in my aircraft was approved for both.)

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 23 May 14:38
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Probably because some BP muppet at some airport insisted on sticking it on before giving him fuel…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Not just VFR, but in a ultralight! I do wonder why the red ‘avgas’ sticker though…

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message