Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How can I tell which French airfields only speak French? (I'm looking for one that speaks English)

After all, it’s not quite that bad.

There are broadly three “types” of “restricted” (meaning restricted, danger, prohibited altogether) airspaces in France.

1. RTBA. These are the low altitude corridors. These are rather easy to deal with because (you just have to consult the AZBA and normally, most of them are not active. I you fly above 4000 feet AGL, you are above them anyway

2. Very small size (usually circular) restricted / prohibited areas. Just plan around them so you don’t have to worry about them

3. The “rest”. These you have to look at a bit more in detail. But again, if you have taken care of 1. and 2., then on most country flights (even a somewhat longer one), there will usually not be more than 5 or so of the type 3 ones left to deal with. For those, you need to look up the type of restriction in the AIP, ENR 5 plus check relevant NOTAMS/AIP SUPs. In most cases, on a weekend, they all turn out to be no factor. On a weekday, some of them might be a factor, but then again, for many restricted areas, the only “condition” of the restriction is to be in radio contact with receive some clearance from some FIS or ATC unit.

This doing it the “proper” way. 90% of foreign pilots flying through France don’t look at the AIP/NOTAMs/AIP SUPs at all. They just depart, then call FIS and ask “if there is anything ahead” . Works, most of the time. But I do think it’s a good idea to know which areas you will likely have to deal with and to be familiar with their numbers.

It’s really not that bad.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 08 Jun 17:05
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

It’s really not that bad.

Particularly during weekends when even the French air force are enjoying some time off.

LFPT, LFPN

Howard,

Boscomantico mentioned the AZBA charts, but you might not be familiar with them.
You can find them by going here
Click here
Then on the left side click “AZBA Charts” funnily enough
On the next page, choose the time that you want.

This chart shows which of the low level routes are active at a given time. You will NOT get clearance through them if they are active, at least in my experience. They don’t even publish a frequency for them.

The other restricted areas do look a mess, and it can be a nightmare trying to plan a route that avoids everything. But the reality is that if you have the appropriate frequencies you are likely to be cleared through much if not all of them.

I remember one occasion, I was planning a route through France, and there were so many restricted areas, that I was coming up with so many alternative plans for what I would do if I couldn’t get a clearance though X airspace. So I’d plan A, plan B, plan C, Plan D etc. Eventually I had to come to the conclusion that if I get refused clearance through all of those, then I’m simply going to land at this airport, and reconsider my options! In the air, I spoke to two different controllers who cleared me through all those restricted areas in one go

France is a country that looks impossible on paper, and is very easy in the air! Just make sure you’re talking to someone. That opens things up tremendously.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Just make sure you’re talking to someone. That opens things up tremendously.

Yes, that’s the approach of most people, mentioned above. But again: I do think it’s a good idea to know beforehand which areas one will likely have to deal with and to be familiar with their numbers and dimensions. I would certainly recommend that to “French beginners”.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I have not flown VFR in France but I remember flying VFR through other countries where VFR felt pretty much like IFR. You just talk to somebody and they tell you where to go or what altitude you should use. What’s left is knowing where you are and avoid any clouds – and enjoy the scenery.

Frequent travels around Europe

Stephan_Schwab wrote:

You just talk to somebody and they tell you where to go or what altitude you should use.

That’s not the case in France. You will be in uncontrolled airspace most of the time, and need to be prepared to make these decisions yourself. It’s not like, for example, Croatia or Morocco. But most FIS services are provided by real controllers which often work their approach sectors on the same frequency, and have radar. So this part does feel more “controlled” than for example in Germany (where they have radar but really don’t control anyone) or in the UK. And it makes the transitions through all kinds of controlled airspace very seamless.

Last Edited by Rwy20 at 08 Jun 20:21

The problem with France is that it has some incredibly complicated airspace, yet ATC clear you straight through it.

Except on the occassions when they don’t…………… they still expect you to be aware of D and P etc areas and be prepared to avoid them completely, using own nav.

When they clear you through it, they uses nonstandard radio (no “cleared to…”) and this is fine. Until it isn’t…..

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

When they clear you through it, they uses nonstandard radio (no “cleared to…”) and this is fine. Until it isn’t…..

If they’re not “clearing” you through the P/R/D-areas, then it’s the correct radio phraseology and not nonstandard. You are not cleared through a P/R/D area, you are given permission to cross it. A clearance implies that you are under ATC control which is not the case simply because you are given permission to cross a P/R/D-area.

Another matter is that if you are a controlled flight, then your clearance will imply permission to cross P/R/D-areas on your route.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

East of France is a bit tricky though.
I wanted to go to Strasbourg or Colmar and it took me a while to take my decision just because the map looked so messy which meant a lot of airspace to check and possibly avoid (Polygone areas come to mind).

It was actually fine as, indeed, the airspaces are quite permeable.

RTBA/AZBA is not permeable at all and should not be touched even with a stick when active, especially where they bend.
They train for high speed/low altitude flying there. Some ultralights are not there anymore to tell the story of coming too close to some of these unfortunately (and I said close, not inside).

ELLX (Luxembourg), Luxembourg

The Polygone areas are driving me quite crazy with my planning. I’m trying to plan to get home through France from Augsburg and it looks ridiculously difficult at normal VFR flight levels (2,500-5,000 feet) except at weekends. Crazy.

Why can’t the French organise their airspace like all other European countries. Only they have Polygone regions and low-level military flying routes all over their country!

Frustrating.

Howard

Flying a TB20 out of EGTR
Elstree (EGTR), United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message