Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How can new helicopters be cheaper than new fixed-wings?

Martin wrote:

As for door to door speed, it really depends on “A” and “B”.

Yes, but in general. There are much more places a helicopter can land than a Cirrus, by a factor 100M ? For those particular As and Bs where a Cirrus is faster, a Cirrus will be better, but those As and Bs are infinitely more restricted than for a helicopter, hence the utility value can’t isn’t even comparable. Also, VFR in a helicopter is very seldom the restriction it can be in a FW.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

There are much more places a helicopter can land than a Cirrus, by a factor 100M

There are plenty of places where a helicopter is capable of landing. But places where I can actually legally land? Not that many. Since it requires permission from the owner. Unless we’re talking about hotels and such, just finding out who owns any particular piece of land and contacting the owner is IMHO a huge PITA. And even if you get a permission, how comfortable are you leaving your very expensive toy sitting unguarded while you go about your business?

So I can’t agree with you. I really like helicopters and IMO lack of places to conveniently land (and park) is annoyingly limiting. I can use it to shuttle between my properties, to and from the airport, visit friends, family, business partners, even travel if I limit myself to hotels that will allow me to land there and have it parked there (and I would still have to fly to airports to refuel). But not much else (at least nothing comes to mind right now; there will be some oddballs like a restaurant with a helipad, but how common is that?). Even if you end up flying to an airport, you still have the advantage of flying out of your backyard. That’s why I like them. But you’re only getting half the advantage.

32 Posts
Sign in to add your message