Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How difficult to switch country of registration to N Reg?

" I do however wish others could benefit from this, too."
We do!

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

You know what one of the many things is that I really like about EuroGA? When I post something which is not 100% right, T28 pops up within minutes and sets me on the right track So I always go to bed every night fully informed. I do however wish others could benefit from this, too.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The bit of Italy in Switzerland isn’t a country though, you’d be hard pressed to get a Campione plane reg…

All their fiscal advantages have disappeared as of 1st of Jan this year too as it is now part of EU customs territory.

T28
Switzerland

The IOM has many tax advantages. Same with the Channel Islands.

Mainland Europe has similar stuff e.g. San Marino, and IIRC there is a bit of Switzerland in Italy (or vice versa; it’s a while since I was last in the Locarno area).

Tax avoidance is 100% legal.

M-reg is only peripherally related to this, but becomes more so as you move to bigger aircraft. We have multiple threads on this e.g. here.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

alioth wrote:

See the word “likely” not “always”. I never said “all non-Manx M-reg are tax dodgers”. But most of them are, even if you are not.

Is there something with M-reg that help tax evasion or is it that “tax dodgers” feel that M-reg is the “in thing”? (Serious question. I don’t know the tax status of the Isle of Man.)

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

See the word “likely” not “always”. I never said “all non-Manx M-reg are tax dodgers”. But most of them are, even if you are not.

Andreas IOM

alioth wrote:

In the case of M-reg, the operator is likely on M for tax dodging reasons and is not resident in Europe either (for the same aforementioned tax dodging reasons).

We have been operating on the M register since it started, indeed I held Isle of Man Pilot Validation no 1.

We have not dodged one penny of tax by the arrangement, in fact as a UK company that operates and pays all taxes in the UK I don’t understand how the register could facilitate this.

Your slur is a sweeping generalisation and in many cases untrue.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

dantheg wrote:

For what it’s worth, I didn’t end up getting/needing an Export Certificate of Airworthiness. When the previous owner deregistered it from the Belgian authorities, he made a note that it would be registered in the US and I just applied for an FAA registration, that part was pretty simple.

Registration and airworthiness two separate items but don’t mind me…..

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

boscomantico wrote:

boscomantico22-Apr-21 14:3912
@dantheg What would be more interesting: what are the reasons you to chose to
do so? With all those people saying it doesn‘t have any advantages any more?

@boscomantico For my personal situation it makes sense, I’m a US citizen and work for the US military hence I’m not a resident locally. If I weren’t a US citizen and/or were a regular EU resident I don’t think it would make all that much sense. Getting an EASA license would certainly cost me some money as well so transferring a plane from OO to N reg seemed to be the better way to go.

For what it’s worth, I didn’t end up getting/needing an Export Certificate of Airworthiness. When the previous owner deregistered it from the Belgian authorities, he made a note that it would be registered in the US and I just applied for an FAA registration, that part was pretty simple.

EDRP, Germany

RobertL18C wrote:

Plenty of N and M reg aircraft operated commercially in Europe with the crew on FAA licences?

In the case of M-reg, the operator is likely on M for tax dodging reasons and is not resident in Europe either (for the same aforementioned tax dodging reasons).

Andreas IOM
40 Posts
Sign in to add your message