Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How do bizjet owners deal with Part NCC?

I got this from a bizjet pilot I know well:

I have to add though: he is a paid pilot (non AOC), not an owner.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I got this from a bizjet pilot I know well:

Part NCC is nowhere near the drama that some people are making out.
If you are operating sensibly and professionally already, it makes very little difference to anything.
If you are a cowboy though, operating recklessly then it will all come as a terrible shock.
I have to add though: he is a paid pilot (non AOC), not an owner.

I would guess that quite a few EU countries already had similar national regulations.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

But in Europe you need a TR for a TP as well, so there’s no operational difference there. Same amount of hassle.

True (setting aside the TBM “class rating” and the lack of any TR for an N-reg TP, till April 2017 at least) and look at how few TPs there are, privately flown, in Europe. That community has been constant for decades, too.

Administrator

AdamFrisch wrote:

But in Europe you need a TR for a TP as well, so there’s no operational difference there. Same amount of hassle.

That’s not a hassle, it’s useful training. I was a neutral on the matter till I did a simulator based Kingair type rating, but that convinced me that this sort of training is extremely worthwhile, maybe essential for safe operation.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Of course training is necessary.

My point was just that everybody has a “hassle threshold”. The hassle is the sum total of everything relating to the acquisition+ownership+operation.

For example many SEP pilots would not go to a MEP even if they had the money (all new checkrides to do, annual ME checkrides, etc). For me, a DA42 would be 2 FAA checkrides, 2 EASA checkrides, and (a big plane) nowhere to hangar it.

A TP is yet more. HPA etc. A jet is yet more. With each increment the market reduces. More money does not equal more willingness to endure Especially as usually more money = greater age = less willingness and ability to absorb yet more stuff.

IMHO the size of each “aircraft class” community (SEP MEP TP TJ) is determined by the “willingness to endure” more than by the raw cost, especially in Europe. If logic ruled, people would buy a Jetprop instead of a $1M SR22 Widespread rumours from years ago of being able to buy the 14 ATPL exams from a place in Spain for €10k were probably true, even if airline pilot candidates were the main customers. Most people in the TP and TJ business would pay 10k to skip the exams (especially if that was a legit option), and get the training with a freelance instructor who flies with them on trips. On N-reg this is doable but the freelance option is de facto disappearing, and was never there on EASA-reg.

Taking FCL reasons alone, Brexit will be welcome by the UK based N-reg community, obviously. Especially the older guys with TBMs. The problem is between April 2017 and Brexit itself. I will need to reval my IR, for example.

What is the current (or post Brexit) UK requirement for a SE N-reg jet? Under FAA you need a TR for any jet.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

and get the training with a freelance instructor who flies with them on trips

Would this be possible with the EASA DTO rules? Or does this only apply to PPLs and the “simpler” stuff?

Norway, where a gallon of avgas is ch...
ENEG

NorFlyer wrote:

Would this be possible with the EASA DTO rules? Or does this only apply to PPLs and the “simpler” stuff?
You can fly a complex airplane on a PPL… But DTOs can only (as the proposal is written) train for SEP and TMG class ratings and no type ratings.

(BTW, DTO doesn’t mean freelance instructors. It’s still an organisation, even if it could be a one-man organisation.)

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

SF50 will be super easy to fly. There’s absolute minimum switches, FADEC and chute. It is perfect for those $1M piston buyers looking to upgrade. Older aircraft may be more capable, but can’t compete in user friendliness.

I also expect local dealers to take care of all paperwork for customers. And a type rating is a good thing, not a hassle.

LPFR, Poland

In Europe you need a class rating for SET, not a type rating, although the class rating is type specific (PC12, PA46T, TBM, etc). So you only need to re-validate every two years, although you will still need to re-validate your IR annually.

Whether the SF50 will come under CR rules would be an interesting development.

If someone knows whether your SET CR counts against the maximum of two TR at any time, would be useful to know. I think it is a CR as a work around to allow you a CR in SET and other TR up to two.

There are quite a few owners (not pilots) opting for an SET plus a medium jet.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message